Am In in trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bare19672

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew, it was a sweet stout from northern brewer. It looks good, smells good, and tastes good. My question is my starting gravity was 1060 which was supposed to be at around 1045, I may not have mixed it up enough at the beginning.
After 1 week the gravity was 1022, the next day it was 1022 so I racked it to a secondary carboy. It sat in the second for about 12 days, had time to bottle so checked the gravity again and had 1022 still. Needless to say I bottled it, am I asking for bottle bombs?
Should I have waited longer before bottling?
My second batch was a nut brown ale after a week the gravity was 1011, put that in a secondary also.
I did check my hydrometer and it is very close to being perfect 1000 in water.

Great forum has helped alot, lets hope I can keep the mistakes to a minimum (don't want to waste beer).:mug:

Welcome!

Sounds like your stout will be just fine, though 1.045 is a bit light for a stout. Your "off" figure of 1.060 sounds better for the style. It will probably be a bit sweet and malty with so high an FG, but if it stayed that steady for that long, it's not going to drop any more, and you won't have bottle bombs.

Good luck, and happy brewing!

Thank you, for the response, I have been trying to be patient with my brewing but you know how hard that is. It does taste a little sweet but I think it is going to be good when done. I will keep an eye on it.

Yeah, what Yuri said. Your stout will be better now than if it was at 1.045. You say it's a sweet stout, which means you probably added lactose, which raises the OG and the SG. It'll be good.

And don't worry about the sweetness. The longer you let it condition in bottle, the more it will dry out.

Thanks Evan, you are correct I did add lactose, I did not know that would raise the gravity, good to know.
I will let it sit for at least 3 weeks before trying.
Thank you for the responses.

Latest posts

Back