HERMS coil/pump question | stainless or copper chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootvonRoot

Reaction score
question one)

I'm thinking of making my all grain system into a simple HERMS type system using a pump and an immersion chiller. My question is when performing a stepped mash and/or when just maintaining mash temperature I would be circulating the mash from the mash tun through the pump and chiller that is immersed in hot water in my kettle back into the mash tun. I'm sure i would pick up grain, grain husks and random grain material from the mash tun that would flow through the pump and immersion chiller ... this seems like the standard but I just want to ask outright .... it that ok for my pump (and to a much lesser extent my chiller)?

question two)

I've seen some topics on this BUT ...stainless steel immersion chiller or copper immersion chiller? what do you prefer?

I am in the process of doing nearly the same thing. I went with a stainless steel chiller for the bling factor. I have a 50ft copper chiller as well that I will continue to use as an immersion chiller.

Honestly I think both will perform the task. Stainless will be a little easier to clean and won't tarnish. Also since I was putting my coil into a stainless keg I didn't want to have any issue with galvanic corrosion. I don't honestly know a lot about galvanic corrosion and I imagine stainless is pretty resistant to the process, but the thought did cross my mind, although the primary reason I went SS was the bling factor and the cleaning.

ALSO:

I discovered this yesterday when I was cutting up the chiller to assemble the coil, the extra stainless tubing you have is perfect for creating dip tubes for a keg or brewpot. I think I'll even have a long enough peice to make a Jamil-style chiller attachment. I am sure someone has posted this but I hadn't actually read it anywhere.

Stainless steel, copper, brass and bronze are, from an anode index perspective, very similar and pose little opportunity for galvanic corrosion. Any of those against steel or aluminum is an entirely different matter. In many industrial processes, stainless steel, copper and brass are frequently used together.

1) Some grain and husk material will flow through the pump and coil, but with a false bottom, rice hulls maybe, etc this will be minimal at best and nothing that needs stressed over. Simular to Volauf'ing, the first few little bits may travel but after that the bed should be set to allow clear running.
2) see above; I like copper; go for what you want. I personally prefer copper in my HERMS since it stays in my HLT and is never seen, no 'bling' worries....

question one: should not pose a problem to get random bits of crushed grain through the pump. I have a HERMS setup and the first bit of flow through the system is cloudy but clears right up after a minute or 2 the grain bed sets. FWIW - I use a SS braid in my cooler MLT

I use my HLT as the heat source for the HEX and I batch sparge. I run the sparge water through the HEX coil to push remaining wort in the coil back into the MLT and also gives it a hot water flush immediately after use.

Back