Other hobbies besides homebrew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jump hobbies.
I played tournament paintabll in college
Rode dirtbikes right out of college (plan to get back into this in a couple years when my son ins 4-5)
building brewery projects
Disc Golf
Camping

- golf (never play enough)
- music, esp. vinyl playback
- attending the kids' sports activities, esp. now that I don't have to drive them everywhere
- soccer
- reading (until I fall asleep, that is)
- photography

Like others have posted, my home improvements and kids take up nearly all of my free time, but I find the time to brew and participate in a few other hobbies:

Cycling
Skating (mostly miniramps in my old age, streets are a lot less forgiving nowadays)
Billiards
Fishing
and Climbing

in no particular order
fishing
music - collecting and attending shows
golf
cooking / grilling
any and all of the above as often as possible

I'm involved with the local 1880's Vintage Recreation Base Ball Club, I'm one of the team's umpires. We wear period clothing.

Referee1.jpg

There are a few clubs in my area...Someone I know from high school is pretty heavily involved, so I am trying to get involved as well. Ipswich Brewing actually has a team and brings their beer truck to some of the games.

As for my hobbies, I play some golf when I can and I do submission wrestling.

Smoking meats!!! I love it!

Music - Playing and creating new sounds.

Audiophile - Always building speaker cabinets and improving old ones.

WoW - :D

Cars - Although Im broke and dont have anything in the garage to tinker with lately :(

There are a few clubs in my area...Someone I know from high school is pretty heavily involved, so I am trying to get involved as well. Ipswich Brewing actually has a team and brings their beer truck to some of the games.

Oh that's awesome. It's a lot of fun, and it's a nice community of folks around the country (we just hosted the international vintage base ball association convention, and met folks from all around the country and Canada). The head of my team is also a homebrewer, so we get into beer discussions and swapping all the time.

I'm planning to brew an 1860's cream ale or steam beer for August when we particpate in the World Series of Historical Base Ball, and stay at Greenfield Village for the weekend. We usually have a BBQ the Saturday night of the event, and I usually bring some HB, so I thought I would do something special.

I even have the label.

Curative_tonic_copy.jpg

Skating (mostly miniramps in my old age, streets are a lot less forgiving nowadays)
Everytime I driver past a skatepark I want to get back into skating. Boots or board for you? I was involved in a pretty big scene in college. Couple guys have stayed with it and continue to run a clothing company they started in school. I agree about the streets, That all I ever wanted to skate back then, now I wouldn't be able to handle the massive gaps and wouldn't want to deal with the police now that I'm a "responsible adult" with children and a job,

Everytime I driver past a skatepark I want to get back into skating. Boots or board for you? I was involved in a pretty big scene in college. Couple guys have stayed with it and continue to run a clothing company they started in school. I agree about the streets, That all I ever wanted to skate back then, now I wouldn't be able to handle the massive gaps and wouldn't want to deal with the police now that I'm a "responsible adult" with children and a job,

Board. The only way I'd strap boots on is with a hockey stick in hand...

We've got a decent public skatepark down the street from my house with some pools that look to be well laid out but I haven't made the time to go ride it yet.

Board. The only way I'd strap boots on is with a hockey stick in hand...

We've got a decent public skatepark down the street from my house with some pools that look to be well laid out but I haven't made the time to go ride it yet.
I'm a boot man myself. We have a poor excuse for a park in my small town, but it's more of just a hang out for the trash and drug dealers. Two neighboring towns have decent parks though. But I haven't owned a pair of skates for about 5-6 years now.

*edit*
Wow, man, that is a sweet park! Assuming it's the right one.
sayerville_skatepark2_opt.jpg

-Tabletop RPG, video, board, and card games (no CCG's please).
-Some desktop publishing and illustration.
-I have a 2 year old girl. Best hobby ever but it tends to overshadow those above (and rightly so!)

Aside from homebrewing I fly fish and tie flies and dream of fishing more often. Having 2 kids under 2 years old has put a kink in the days on the water, but I try.

I also enjoy cheering my Colorado State Rammies, Denver Broncos, and Notre Dame Fighting Irish...though there really hasn't been much to cheer about lately :(

-Camping and backpacking, although I haven't had much time to do either since graduating from college.
-Computers, building, programming, etc - tied to my career since I'm a software developer
-Computer gaming
-Just got into gardening, had a few fails along the way....

and, my guilty pleasure...
-Magic: The Gathering

I'm a boot man myself. We have a poor excuse for a park in my small town, but it's more of just a hang out for the trash and drug dealers. Two neighboring towns have decent parks though. But I haven't owned a pair of skates for about 5-6 years now.

You know what's the hardest thing about rollerblading?

Telling your parents you're gay.

Just messing with you :ban:

Music - drums and bass (although the drums haven't been set up for years)
Photography - for fun, get no money from it
Cars - working on and racing (legally) the Subaru, and now fixing up an old Mercedes

I Enjoy tinkering with my reef tanks, working on my 69 Camaro, grilling and occasionally crew on a top alcohol flat bottom drag boat.

Here's a vid of my reef.

And a pic of the boat I work on when my wife gives me a weekend pass. Used to be a regular crew member (my best friens/ old roomie is the owner/driver) but getting married and having a baby will kill that.
picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine: '78 Trans Am
Wife: '69 Camaro
(I am responsible for both in terms of care/repair)

Making Batman movie style costumes
Cooking
Camping
Trying to eliminate any possible beer surplus:ban:

I've just started brewing - three batches in the past month, another likely next week, all partial mash. My "main" hobby is amateur astronomy. I have two semi-automated observatories in my back yard which are primarily used to perform time-sequence photometry of cataclysmic variable stars.

Mike

I've just started brewing - three batches in the past month, another likely next week, all partial mash. My "main" hobby is amateur astronomy. I have two semi-automated observatories in my back yard which are primarily used to perform time-sequence photometry of cataclysmic variable stars.

Mike

Now THERE'S a hobby!

Did you grind your own mirrors or did you purchase your telescopes?

*edit*
Wow, man, that is a sweet park! Assuming it's the right one.
sayerville_skatepark2_opt.jpg

yeah, that's it. gotta get up early some weekend and go figure out a few lines through that clover pool...

Home remodeling/renovation
Woodworking
Old British motocycles - Norton in particular
Designing and building brewing equipment
1986 Porche 951
getting into welding - oxy acetylene now, hopefully TIG eventually

Photography of anything that has the potential to be artsy
Camping with the kids
Reading novels, which is quite new. I mostly read to get info and learn stuff.
Improving beer gadgets that I've built during the last year
Trail running

drinking beer!!!
working on old motorcycles....with beer of course!!!
riding my motorcycles....withOUT beer!!!
Cooking....with beer, and while drinking beer :)
carpentry......withOUT beer, power tools and beer don't mix.
Programming, tinkering with electronics, and other geeky things....with or without beer depending on how complicated it gets :D

Back