Just a Bit Bitter Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookmaster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
American Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 65 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 65 F
Tasting Notes
Well balanced Brown with a slight hop bitterness
Below is one of my first recipes, basically I wanted to try making an "American Brown", basically a brown ale with more hops according to my how to brew book. I now believe this doesn't have enough bitterness to qualify for that title.

Here are the ingredients

9.6 lbs Pale Malt 2-row
1.5 lbs Crystal 60L
.3 lbs Chocolate Malt

Pellet Hops
.75 OZ Brewers Gold (60 minutes) (8 %AA)
.25 Oz East Kent Goldings (60 minutes) (5 % AA)
.50 OZ Cascade (10 minutes) ( 5.5% AA)

I used American Ale Yeast, 1056 with a starter. We stored the yeast in vials so it may have been through one beer already.

For the mash, I did 90 mins at 154 F and then batch sparged twice with 170 F water.

Target Gravity was 1.055 and I think I was dead on with 68% efficiency. You should be aiming for around 30 IBU with this.

The color is a darker brown, almost a bit too dark it walks the line. The taste is just awesome though, I love it. You can taste hops but it is far from overpowering, seems just right to me but everyone has their preference :)

Carbonation - I let this carbonate with 21 PSI CO2 for a couple days as I was out of kegerator room.

Anyway enjoy if you decide to make it. If anyone wants pics before its gone let me know!

Also I added a bit of Gypsum to it

Back