3 gallons in "ale pail" primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I want to make a 3 gallon batch. I assume it is OK to use my regular-size primary for this? Any reason not to?

Just do a long primary if you don't have a 3-gallon secondary. The CO2 layer in the primary will protect your beer, but if you put it in a big secondary you could get oxidation.

Just do a long primary if you don't have a 3-gallon secondary. The CO2 layer in the primary will protect your beer, but if you put it in a big secondary you could get oxidation.

Thanks. I'm planning on racking into one of my 3-gallon secondaries so I can pitch another (bigger) beer onto the yeast cake.

That's what Rex told me to do. Think I'm going to start a new batch tomorrow- want to ferment in the basement between 64-68. Should I start fermentation at 72 ish.

That's what Rex told me to do. Think I'm going to start a new batch tomorrow- want to ferment in the basement between 64-68. Should I start fermentation at 72 ish.

I wouldn't, but maybe you should ask Rex first. I'm sure he'll have an answer.

Getting mixed answers I'll post something. See you got a Scottish Ale on deck, that's what Dad wants you to make for him.

Getting mixed answers I'll post something. See you got a Scottish Ale on deck, that's what Dad wants you to make for him.

I get a feeling this thread is going to be deleted soon since it's turning into a chat session. I was planning on brewing today or tomorrow, but couldn't get the ingredients. Good thing. I was planning on only a 3 gallon batch. Looks like I'll up it to 5.

What are you brewing?

A New England Brown Ale.-Northern England Grain and Yeast with an American Brown hop Schedule

Back