MLB 2006 Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Let's move all talks about baseball to this thread.

So yeah, Cubs rule. The Sox are like the twin brother that Mom and Dad don't love as much.

Go Marlins!

Actually, the Cubs have nearly gone a century without ruling once. In fact, they've only had back to back winning seasons one time in the past 35 years. In that same span, they've only managed 10 .500 plus seasons.

On top of that, they COMPLETELY rip off their fans by selling most of their non-season tickets to a scalping agency - THAT THEY OWN!

Their ballpark, after getting over the novelty of the ivy and the "history", is really just a rat infested, run down park with no parking, bad food and bad sightlines. But, because it's in the middle of tavern town, they are now drawing well. But, something that Cub fans seem to continentally forget is that was not always the case. Before the rejuvenation of the area around the park, the Cubs didn't draw flies. Just ask Lee Elia!

For those of you not familiar, a simple google search for the "Lee Elia speech" (former Cub manager), is always a fun read.

Now, contrast that misery with the While Sox...

- Current World Series Champs
- 2nd best record in the VASTLY superior AL
- 19 winning seasons in the past 35 years
- one of the top 3 winningist teams in the past decade
- Highly rated food
- Outstanding sightlines
- Nobody believes in curses

God it's easy being a Sox fan
:D

Whooa....wait a sec. It's not a winning season if you don't win, and the Sox have won one Series in the past 98 years.

Second off, let's not forget that Sox fans aren't exactly the best behaved bunch. Remember the Legueu's (spelling?) and their father-son meth driven beating? How many times have Sox fans jumped on the field to attack players or staff?

As for your stadium, Comiskular was rated as one of the worse when it was built. They had to start over again to clean it up.

Finally, let's not fool ourselves into thinking that the Sox bandwagon will continue much longer. I give it 2 more years before they're back to playing for 7,000 fans.

Ah, yes - it's ONLY Sox fans that misbehave

Seems to me that not so long ago one of your "fans" ripped the hat off a pitcher warming up in the opponent’s bullpen and the fight between players and fans went into the stands. Of course, the Tribune doesn't like to bring that up very often.

Oh, and that second "fan" incident that happened at the Cell after the KC coach thing - Cub fan that came to our park after getting hammered at Wrigley. Again - no Trib comments, but facts none the less.

...or how about the "tradition" of throwing garbage on the field? Now that's class!

I'll admit, the park wasn't great cosmetically before the US Cellular updates, but the food and the sightlines were always excellent. And, if you're there to watch a ballgame, that's the most important thing. But, if you prefer the smell of urine, falling concrete, drunken frat boys and plenty of obstructed view seating, then Wrigley is for you!

As far as drawing fans, the Sox fans have always supported winners. That's most of the problem with your team. There is no reason to win - you're not going to make any more money. In fact, I think the Cubs image would be hurt if they actually won. Losing is part of their identity and their nickname!

(PS - hope you’re not taking this very seriously. I’m just having some fun and assume you’re doing the same.)

foul.jpg

foul2.jpg

:rockin: :rockin:

I feel bad for that kid. He did nothing different that 99.9% of fans would do in the same situation, but because crybaby Alou threw a hissy fit, the whole ment-down is somehow HIS fault.

Nevermind the botched double play, a manager than didn't bother to visit the mound or the "ace" that couldn't seal the deal the next game - let's blame BARTMAN!

Complete silliness

the diamondbacks are well.....embarrasing this year.

but, my fantasy baseball team is doing rather well

The Mariners are showing signs of life, but haven't quite pulled it together yet.

Beltre keeps his recent streak going and we could see a real race in the AL West this year.

I'll agree with the earlier comment about the "superior AL". If the M's can beat up on the NL in inter-league like they did and still be in last place in the AL West... well...

Chimone said:
... my fantasy baseball team is doing rather well

I've always wanted to play fantasy baseball. Unfortunately, all those sites are blocked at work :(

rdwj said:
I feel bad for that kid. He did nothing different that 99.9% of fans would do in the same situation, but because crybaby Alou threw a hissy fit, the whole ment-down is somehow HIS fault.

Nevermind the botched double play, a manager than didn't bother to visit the mound or the "ace" that couldn't seal the deal the next game - let's blame BARTMAN!

Complete silliness

I work in Northbrook (his hometown for you non-Illy's). We all wanted to hunt him down and kill him the next day, then we realized...

It's not his fault at all. The way that ball was hit, it could have been 6" farther back and would have been no contest. 18" to the right and it would have been fair. There's no guarantee that Alou (a known dropper) would have held it. And it had no effect on the general suckiness of the rest of the game.

Finally, look at 2004. They had the season all but clinched - one game from clinching if I recall - and went on a 10 game losing streak that blew it all.

The Cubs suck. They've sucked for a hundred years. It doesn't matter, because they still win. Baseball is entertainment, the point of which is to derive the most revenue from the least expense. There's no tangible product created by baseball that helps it retain its value. It's driven by fan attendance and advertising sales. The Cubs get both without needing to spend money on a winning team.

In other words, they've accomplished the goal. They've been winning for years now. How many other teams sell out EVERY home game and draw as much attendance on the road? The Yankees and Red Sox are the only others I can think of.

The White Sox? Oh yeah, the Yankees just swept them, didn't they? ::insert evil laughter here::

Not too much of a baseball fan but do keep an eye on the Brewers. 10 days or so ago they were 2.5 behind 1st place. Now they're 8 back. And it was the Cubbies and Diamondbacks (both sub-standard teams) that pushed them back.

Nice job bratwurst-heads.

HurricaneFloyd said:
The White Sox? Oh yeah, the Yankees just swept them, didn't they? ::insert evil laughter here::

Yes, that was brutal - no doubt. They also lost two of three to the Red Sox before the break. On the positive side, that's the first time the White Sox have been swept all year and their record is still darn good - still a few ahead of the Yanks in the Wild Card race (not too early to start watching that race)

I've got the Rockies to root for. These idiots think they can do everything on the cheep. They started out good but have lost 7 in a row. Looks like the same ol same ol.
Come on football season! Go BRONCOS!

okok, I stayed the hell out of Cheese and rd's debate on Cubs/Sox sux mania. (I'm married to a Cub fan, God help me. I have FAR more entertaining arguments with SWMBO than anyone else. Most people are appalled when they hear us argue this point. We're merciless...)

I swear tho, if I have to get to another post-season just to watch lack-luster play and minor-league pitching by the Cardinals (and NO, their pitching this season F#$%ING SUCKS) I may just take next year off and watch the WNBA...

I've been supportive of Larussa for years but this crap is freaking ridiculous...

Thanks for a STELLAR outing tonight with the damn BRAVES this evening Mr. Weaver...

Now back to our regularly scheduled Cubs-bashing..... :rockin:

Ize

Ize said:
...I've been supportive of Larussa for years but this crap is freaking ridiculous...

Ah, the Cards - My favorite NL team! You can't really blame LaRussa for the pitchers. He's got to run the horses he has. Honestly, I think he's one of the best managers in the bigs and that firing him was one of the biggest mistakes the White Sox ever made.

You can take comfort in the fact that a minor tweek or two (if that) is all it's going to take to win the division. I'm not sure about the pennant. Usually, the Cards are right there, but the Mets are pretty impressive this year and would be hard to beat in a 7 game series.

psst......hey mister.....(as he tilts his "old english D" baseball cap down a bit....looks around, because he can't believe what is going on)...."Who's your Tiger!!!!" 2 out of 3 from the Champs!:ban:

As most of you are aware, I'm sure, I am a huge Brewers fan. As such, I hate the Yankees and I REALLY hate the Cubs. That said, I must add that I've never met a Cubs fan that I didn't like. Cubs fans are laid back, mellow, they like their beer, and they love their tem. Gotta respect that. Plus, they have suffered even longer than Brewers fans.

White Sox fans, on the other hand..........
Well lets put it this way: Back when the Brewers were a bad AL team instead of a bad NL team, the White sox would come to town and old County Stadium would be just one big fistfight. You don't see that anymore. Wonder why..........:confused:

Back