Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
OK so i boil water with 3/4 cup sugar...I got this. My question is then do I pour this into my bottling bucket first and then use my autosiphon to pour the beer on top. Or vice versa. And once the two are in the bucket, do I shake it around to mix the sugar? How do I know the sugar will be mixed evenly?

Thanks

gonzoflick said:
OK so i boil water with 3/4 cup sugar...I got this. My question is then do I pour this into my bottling bucket first and then use my autosiphon to pour the beer on top. Or vice versa. And once the two are in the bucket, do I shake it around to mix the sugar? How do I know the sugar will be mixed evenly?

Thanks

Cool the sugar, and get it into the vessel any method you desire using sanitized equipment, and limited aeration. stir it up good once the beer and the sugar mixture are together in the bucket, then bottle that stuff. ;)

You don't want to shake it. Like glibbidy said, you want limited aeration. Try to mix it gently. I would use the bottling bucket, that way you don't mix any trub with it.

When I was bottling, I'd start my siphon and let my bottling bucket fill about an eighth or just to cover the bottom, then gently pour the cooled sugar mixture in the bucket as close to the beer as possible to avoid splashing. If your siphon tube is hugging the bottom of the bucket, it will create a whirlpool and mix the sugar in automatically. There is no reason to risk contaminating your brew by putting anything else into it.

I keg now!:D

I dump the priming sugar into the bottling bucket, then siphon the beer in on top of it. The whirlpool action that creates mixes it enough that I don't need to stir it.

Back