Left Hand Stout..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepnbrew

Reaction score
I live 5 mins from Left hand brewery and LOVE the lefthand imperial stout. I would love to make a clone.. Anyone tried it or have a recipe?

One of my favorite Imperial Stouts. It is hard to find here in VA but when I do I stock up! I brewed my first imperial 2 months ago, can't wait to try it.

It is an amazing beer... We get a growler of it pretty often, plus its nice to know the folks that work there!! What recipe did you use for your imperial? I'm trying to find a good one..

ASk the brewer! Most micro breweries are very cooperative with homebrewers. They won' give you exacts but a pretty close recipe usually. Only problem is if they happen to use a proprietary yeast strain in which case it can't help to ask for a Quart of slurry!

It's a tie for me between this one and Founder's Breakfast Stout. Yummy!

I think the 8-8-8 RIS is very similar to the Left Hand but is a little bit less roasty. If you sub roasted barley for some of the chocolate malt in the 8-8-8 I think it'd be really close.

I used the all grain recipe out of Jamils' Brewing Classic Styles. It is called Tri Centenial Imperial Stout. 1.100 OG, 100 IBU's, and 100 SRM. It's a monster.

ASk the brewer! Most micro breweries are very cooperative with homebrewers. They won' give you exacts but a pretty close recipe usually. Only problem is if they happen to use a proprietary yeast strain in which case it can't help to ask for a Quart of slurry!

I'll see what I can pull outta him next trip over.. ;)

It's a tie for me between this one and Founder's Breakfast Stout. Yummy!

I think the 8-8-8 RIS is very similar to the Left Hand but is a little bit less roasty. If you sub roasted barley for some of the chocolate malt in the 8-8-8 I think it'd be really close.

Maybe i'll give this a shot. Thing is I would have to do a partial or extract brew considering I only have a 6 gallon bottle filler 2 carboys and a 6.2 gallon brewpot. I don't have a sparge. Wonder how I can modify this to extract or partial mash.

Yeah? Besides the equipment I have, what would I need to sparge a partial mash? Any good links to building my own? I like building!! :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

For a small PM I use a paint strainer bag and just mash in a pasta pot on the stove. For larger PMs I have used a 5 gallon converted cooler with a braid. With the pot method I just heat a few gallons in the boil kettle and tea bag the grain bag in it before tossing the grain, then add the mash liquid before boiling. That gives an effective enough sparge to get 75-80% efficiency every time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

For a small PM I use a paint strainer bag and just mash in a pasta pot on the stove. For larger PMs I have used a 5 gallon converted cooler with a braid. With the pot method I just heat a few gallons in the boil kettle and tea bag the grain bag in it before tossing the grain, then add the mash liquid before boiling. That gives an effective enough sparge to get 75-80% efficiency every time.

Say I do the 8 8 8 stout and it has lots of different grain. Do you just add all the grain in one bad and do the above pot method? Or each one separate?

I like the above method, I have a few nice SS pots that are smaller so I could do this easily... Now I need to come up with a PM recipe that will work. I'll play with beer smith and see what I come up with..

Back