UT County co2 refill/exchange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truvr

Reaction score
Hi Utah County brewers!

*crickets*

Come on, I know there are a few of you out there. Where are you guys refilling or exchanging your co2 cylinders in hoppy valley?

I know the BeerNut exchanges 5 lb cylinders. I don't know if they refill. I know Salt City refills. Either way, they are both a little out of the way if I'm not already headed north.

So I noticed no on responded to your posting. You may want to look up and see if there is a Norco located near you. That is who I found that would refill the tank in Ogden. If you don't care about getting back the exact tank you can also see if there is an Airgas, they typically only do cylinder exchanges.

I filled mine at a place that makes ice in slc. I know your in ut county, but You may want to ask some ice MFG's in the area if they do it or know of it!

So I noticed no on responded to your posting. You may want to look up and see if there is a Norco located near you. That is who I found that would refill the tank in Ogden. If you don't care about getting back the exact tank you can also see if there is an Airgas, they typically only do cylinder exchanges.

Hey, thanks for responding. There is no Norco or Airgas nearby. There is a Praxair in Provo. Strangely enough though, when I told them it was for carbonating/serving the guy told me they don't do beverage grade Co2. Wait...what? Co2 is co2, right?

I filled mine at a place that makes ice in slc. I know your in ut county, but You may want to ask some ice MFG's in the area if they do it or know of it!

Good idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. I called paintball places. They said they would refill but their co2 is industrial waste grade and they wouldn't recommend using it. A fire supply place would do it but was a little spendy. I called the Pepsi and coke distributors - nope. I found a couple of welding shops that will do it. They were pretty much the only ones that didn't think I was crazy to be using their co2 for beverage service. Anyway, Humphries in Spanish/American Fork had the best prices by far. They said they would exchange my 10# cylinder for $15 on the spot. Or refill if I leave it for a few days.

Good idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. I called paintball places. They said they would refill but their co2 is industrial waste grade and they wouldn't recommend using it. A fire supply place would do it but was a little spendy. I called the Pepsi and coke distributors - nope. I found a couple of welding shops that will do it. They were pretty much the only ones that didn't think I was crazy to be using their co2 for beverage service. Anyway, Humphries in Spanish/American Fork had the best prices by far. They said they would exchange my 10# cylinder for $15 on the spot. Or refill if I leave it for a few days.

That is a good price. Norco charged me $19 for a 5 lb refill, $5 of it was a handling fee.

Airgas in SLC does 5# cylinder exchange for $7. And it is guaranteed food grade.

I believe that being food grade or not has to do with the equipment used to refill the tanks. Industrial grade equipment may not be sanitary and there could be oil residue and other contaminates that get into the tank.

Airgas in SLC does 5# cylinder exchange for $7. And it is guaranteed food grade.

I believe that being food grade or not has to do with the equipment used to refill the tanks. Industrial grade equipment may not be sanitary and there could be oil residue and other contaminates that get into the tank.

Ok. Thanks. So do you have to ask for food grade then?

My 10# cylinder should last a while and I'm up in SLC often enough that maybe I could make this work.

Ok. Thanks. So do you have to ask for food grade then?

My 10# cylinder should last a while and I'm up in SLC often enough that maybe I could make this work.

I just told them it was for beer and they knew what I wanted.

To follow up... I took the cylinder I bought at AIH to AirGas in SLC. They looked at the cylinder, got all confused, and said they couldn't fill or exchange it. Something about not having a CO2 label on it. :confused: They suggested I try Universal Cylinder Service. So I drove over there. They exchanged it for another 10# food grade cylinder, no problem. $16.03 out the door. I guess I'll keep looking for a place in happy valley that does food grade. Until then I'm driving to UCS.

So did anyone ever find a place that actually refills bottles on the spot and not exchange them? I think I've called about 8 different places from SLC to Ogden so far and I continue to get the "well, you can call our welding retail supply they do that"...1 min later on the phone w/welding supply "Yeah, I'm not sure what the shop was saying, we don't do that". Or the standard Beer supply store answer: "all we do is exchange bottles" or "we can fill the bottle, but it's a 3-4 day turn around b/c we have to inspect & test your bottle". What, inspect & test my bottle?? Has Nanny taken over UT? My beer is currently in secondary and time is running out. Any help to keep my own bottle is appreciated.

So did anyone ever find a place that actually refills bottles on the spot and not exchange them? I think I've called about 8 different places from SLC to Ogden so far and I continue to get the "well, you can call our welding retail supply they do that"...1 min later on the phone w/welding supply "Yeah, I'm not sure what the shop was saying, we don't do that". Or the standard Beer supply store answer: "all we do is exchange bottles" or "we can fill the bottle, but it's a 3-4 day turn around b/c we have to inspect & test your bottle". What, inspect & test my bottle?? Has Nanny taken over UT? My beer is currently in secondary and time is running out. Any help to keep my own bottle is appreciated.

NORCO
1784 W 2900 S
Ogden, UT

Mine was a refurbished? 5lb. tank. Took the paper that came with it and showed them and they slapped a CO2 sticker on the tank and filled it up. I think the main Airgas in SLC will fill your bottle.

NORCO
1784 W 2900 S
Ogden, UT

Mine was a refurbished? 5lb. tank. Took the paper that came with it and showed them and they slapped a CO2 sticker on the tank and filled it up. I think the main Airgas in SLC will fill your bottle.

Thanks, I'll give the guys up in Ogden a call. Airgas was the inspection police. & I already have one of those CO2 stickers on my bottle, so hopefully I'll be good to go. I appreciate the quick response!!

To follow up... I took the cylinder I bought at AIH to AirGas in SLC. They looked at the cylinder, got all confused, and said they couldn't fill or exchange it. Something about not having a CO2 label on it. :confused: They suggested I try Universal Cylinder Service. So I drove over there. They exchanged it for another 10# food grade cylinder, no problem. $16.03 out the door. I guess I'll keep looking for a place in happy valley that does food grade. Until then I'm driving to UCS.

Weird. I have taken several tanks without tags and they have labeled them and filled them. That's when they used to fill on the spot. Now they exchange. I have found airgas to always to be the best in price and service. I called the slc Norco just to price shop and they wanted almost triple for a 5lb tank fill..... Once those guys start to recognize you they always take good car of you.

I needed a refill or swap on Saturday, and unfortunately Airgas isn't open on Saturdays, so I went to Praxair here in SLC. They do swaps, but they charged $19 for what I usually pay $7 or $8 at Airgas. :(

I needed a refill or swap on Saturday, and unfortunately Airgas isn't open on Saturdays, so I went to Praxair here in SLC. They do swaps, but they charged $19 for what I usually pay $7 or $8 at Airgas. :(

It's good to know they are open on Saturday though. That's my biggest problem being down south-ish. Generally the only time I can make the drive up north is later in the evening or on weekends.

Latest posts

Back