CO2 Regulator Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have one of those little mini-kegerators, and my CO2 regulator leaks. I've called the manufacturer, and they've sent me three replacements, and they all leak from the exact same spot as well.

I'm guessing I'm missing something extraordinarily simple, only I don't know what it is!

There's a tiny little threaded hex nut on the part of the regulator that screws onto the CO2 canister, and the regulators are leaking from there. I did manage to find something to try to tighten and/or loosen it, but that didn't seem to work (aside from the fact that my wrench set didn't have the right wrench, but I'll buy one gladly if I can get this to work). The little part will unscrew all the way out as well.

Any suggestions? A tiny bit of teflon pipe tape in there or something? The thing's so tiny it might be hard to get some in there, but I'll try just about anything.

Below is a picture of the regulator, if that helps.

I might recommend a new manufacturer. Did you make any modifications once you received it? Could it be a pressure relief kind of thing? Was it ever working ok?

I might recommend a new manufacturer. Did you make any modifications once you received it? Could it be a pressure relief kind of thing? Was it ever working ok?

The regulator came with the mini-kegerator and I believe is specific to the unit due to its size, so I don't think a different manufacturer is an option.

I've made no modifications, and this regulator, and all three replacements (at least they were replaced under warranty, but at this point I just want it to work) have leaked from the exact same spot straight out of the box.

I don't know if that little screw/nut is for pressure relief, which is why I'm hoping someone here will know more about them.

What is the manufacturer, might help to look at some specs or drawings of the regulator

Probably a pain, but as long as it's under warranty, I would keep getting a new one until it works. And see if they'll throw in some free cartridges for all the trouble.

Probably a pain, but as long as it's under warranty, I would keep getting a new one until it works. And see if they'll throw in some free cartridges for all the trouble.

That's what I've been doing, but at 1-2 weeks for them to send a replacement, the unit's been offline for closing in on 2 months now.

I've contemplated trying some teflon pipe tape to help seal it as that part screws in (or even superglue, I'm getting annoyed) - but if it's designed for pressure release I'm a tad bit shy about circumventing any built-in safety mechanisms.

So it's the part that screws into the Co2 bottle that leaks? If so is there a plastic washer in the part you screw in? There should be a washer in the female end that screws onto the Co2 bottle. Should look somewhat like this......
washer.jpg

If you think it's that little hex nut leaking and keeps coming loose try using some medium strength LocTite Blue thread locker. Never use super glue. LocTite can be had for a few bucks at your local Home Depot.

So it's the part that screws into the Co2 bottle that leaks?

No, not there.

I should have found a way to draw an arrow on the photo, but the part that screws onto the CO2 bottle has a tiny little hex nut/screw on the side of it. The nut/screw in question is on the picture, toward the bottom of the regulator.

It leaks from there.

Edit: Photo added.

No, not there.

I should have found a way to draw an arrow on the photo, but the part that screws onto the CO2 bottle has a tiny little hex nut/screw on the side of it. The nut/screw in question is on the picture, toward the bottom of the regulator.

It leaks from there.

If you think it's that little hex nut leaking and keeps coming loose try using some medium strength LocTite Blue thread locker. Never use super glue. LocTite can be had for a few bucks at your local Home Depot. I would still like to know if there is a washer in that female end of the regulator.

If you think it's that little hex nut leaking and keeps coming loose try using some medium strength LocTite Blue thread locker. Never use super glue. LocTite can be had for a few bucks at your local Home Depot. I would still like to know if there is a washer in that female end of the regulator.

I'm certain it's the little hex nut/screw. CO2 leaks out of the threading, it's obvious as it's a pretty substantial leak, no need to do any kind of bubble test at all. I've added an updated picture a couple of posts up pointing to it.

I'll look into the LocTite Blue thread locker.

I was thinking white teflon pipe tape at first, but the hex nut is so tiny that it might be hard to get some of that in there. The LocTite Blue sure looks like the superior alternative.

And yes, there is definitely a washer on the female part of the coupling that connects to the CO2 canister.

Thank you for the help!

OK, what your photo shows is called a "set screw".

In your conversations with the manufacturer, have you asked what its purpose is? Usually, a set screw in that position would be to secure the regulator to the stud/post/shaft underneath. Given that sealing pressurized CO2 is a safety issue, it seems like a crappy design to me. And yes, it sounds like the connection is missing a gasket or O-ring; ask about that also.

If you can get the set screw out, I would take it to the hardware store to make sure of getting the right size Allen wrench for the screw. Get some teflon tape, and wrap it several times around the set screw. Yes, there will be a lot of excess, you can RDWHAHB about that.

Good luck!

I'm certain it's the little hex nut/screw. CO2 leaks out of the threading, it's obvious as it's a pretty substantial leak, no need to do any kind of bubble test at all. I've added an updated picture a couple of posts up pointing to it.

I'll look into the LocTite Blue thread locker.

I was thinking white teflon pipe tape at first, but the hex nut is so tiny that it might be hard to get some of that in there. The LocTite Blue sure looks like the superior alternative.

And yes, there is definitely a washer on the female part of the coupling that connects to the CO2 canister.

Thank you for the help!

If you do use the thread locker remember it takes about a day for it to cure. Don't use it and then put immediate pressure on it. If you are certain the set screw keeps coming loose then this might be a good alternative. I agree with the poster above that this is a horrible design. If this doesn't work I would recommend a different model regulator. The last thing you want is an undetectable leak and going through bottles of Co2.

OK, what your photo shows is called a "set screw".

In your conversations with the manufacturer, have you asked what its purpose is? Usually, a set screw in that position would be to secure the regulator to the stud/post/shaft underneath. Given that sealing pressurized CO2 is a safety issue, it seems like a crappy design to me. And yes, it sounds like the connection is missing a gasket or O-ring; ask about that also.

If you can get the set screw out, I would take it to the hardware store to make sure of getting the right size Allen wrench for the screw. Get some teflon tape, and wrap it several times around the set screw. Yes, there will be a lot of excess, you can RDWHAHB about that.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Now at least I know what it's called and its purpose.

I was able to get it out with a little work, but I don't have the correct sized Allen wrench - my set is U.S. measurements so I'm guessing it's metric. I have the regulator with me so will bring it to the hardware store and get the right wrench.

You think the teflon tape will work better than the LocTite Blue, or should they work equally well in your opinion?

Loctite won't seal as much as prevent it from not moving again, though not permanently. You don't typically apply the loctite to all of the threads. I'd be curious as to what it is setting.

It may provide some seal, but Teflon tape would better serve the purpose.

Loctite? Teflon tape? PFFFTTT.

Just a blob of silicone will seal that ***** up nicely. SILLY CONE!

Correct. I suggested LocTite in the event the set screw won't stay tight. LocTite will prevent the screw from loosening itself resulting in a small Co2 leak. If you are able to tighten the screw with the correct wrench and the screw stays tight then you don't need LocTite.

Loctite? Teflon tape? PFFFTTT.

Just a blob of silicone will seal that ***** up nicely. SILLY CONE!

My doctor says now I have enough silicone in my body to kill a small elephant! Isn't that cool? - Georgi (from Orgazmo)

There is definitely something up if multiple regulators have the same leak. There has to be something else going on. My guess would be that there is still a leak from where the CO2 tank meets the regulator and it is pouring out of this hole as a path of least resistance. The CO2 tank, what size is it? 20 oz paintball style?

There is definitely something up if multiple regulators have the same leak. There has to be something else going on. My guess would be that there is still a leak from where the CO2 tank meets the regulator and it is pouring out of this hole as a path of least resistance. The CO2 tank, what size is it? 20 oz paintball style?

It's a 9 oz. paintball style tank.

Edit: I also have two tanks, both of them have the same problem when connecting to any of the regulators.

The washer between the CO2 bottle and the regulator, are you reusing it? you are supposed to replace it every time you attach a bottle. They are relatively cheap, have you tried swapping it out and tightening it down tight?

The washer between the CO2 bottle and the regulator, are you reusing it? you are supposed to replace it every time you attach a bottle. They are relatively cheap, have you tried swapping it out and tightening it down tight?

Each of the regulators is a warranty replacement, so the washers are brand new on each of them, having not been used even once.

Also, the set screw, where the leak is coming from, is further up on the regulator than the deepest part of the section where the CO2 canister screws in. The gas leaves the 'chamber' where the canister is attached and where the washer resides, travels through a small hole, and up into the part of the regulator where the set screw is.

Given the design, I can't logically see how the washer could be the culprit.

Just reporting back.

First, thanks to all who offered advice. This forum is fantastic!

Bought a metric Allen wrench set and some gas line pipe tape. After several attempts at taping the set screw, adjusting the amount of tape, etc., it seems to be holding pressure and passed the 'dish soap' bubble test.

At least it seems to be holding for now - we'll see if it continues to hold pressure overnight.

Still getting another warranty replacement from the manufacturer as well. As a consumer, they should get me a regulator that works 'out of the box' without me having to make repairs.

Thanks again to everyone!

Back