Using a pump without spilling all my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micahshaw

Reaction score
SO I just got my new brew pump and a bunch of TC fittings. But I am not sure of the best process to use to prevent spilling hosefulls of wort on the ground when switching around the connections. Obviously I can close all the ball valves, and I guess I could then disconnect the hose at its high point and drain the hose into a bucket, but I am interested in hearing how other people deal with this basic problem. I figured I should be able to find some good posts on this, but apparently my search skills have failed me.

I have attached pictures to show exactly what my setup is right now. (except I do not actually brew indoors, yet)

-micah

2012-05-28_15-48-25_670.jpg

2012-05-28_15-50-06_427.jpg

If I'm moving the TC from one port to another, I just fold the silicone hose over an inch or so from the TC, disconnect and move it. Otherwise I turn off the ball valve and drain the small amount of liquid into a container.

I have mine set up so that nothing needs to be connected or disconnected at all. Flow is redirected by closing certain valves and opening other ones.

Of course, this requires more valves, tees, and hose, so it's not the cheapest system to implement.

With my upcoming eHERMS system, there will be so many valves used to do this (about 20, though some systems can get by with 12), that I anticipate it being a bit difficult to perfectly coordinate on the fly, so I'll be switching to motorized ball valves set up to instantly and simultaneously do so at the simple push of a button.

I have mine set up so that nothing needs to be connected or disconnected at all. Flow is redirected by closing certain valves and opening ....... so I'll be switching to motorized ball valves set up to instantly and simultaneously do so at the simple push of a button.

Just curious: Do you plan to use time-delay relays?

i just kink the silicone and maybe lose like 3-4 drops

OneHoppyGuy said:
Just curious: Do you plan to use time-delay relays?

Actually, right now I'm thinking more of a turn of a knob than push of a button. Each vessel will have an on-off-on knob, with the "on" functions being recirculation and moving the wort forward. There'll also be a few others for emptying to a drain and switching to a hopback/filter. I'd just keep them in the off position for a few seconds if I need the valves to close first - assuming that's what you had in mind with the time-delay relays.

jimmayhugh said:
If I'm moving the TC from one port to another, I just fold the silicone hose over an inch or so from the TC, disconnect and move it. Otherwise I turn off the ball valve and drain the small amount of liquid into a container.

pinching off is a good idea- I haven't gotten brew gloves yet, but I guess I need to.

Also, I guess the only time I will end up needing to empty the whole hose is at the very end.

While brewing outside this isn't a big deal, but I eventually want to move inside. And while I will have a floor that is spill friendly, I would like to keep things as clean as possible for easy cleanup at the end. In my water testing of this setup I found that I could prevent most spilling from the hose, but there wasn't much I could do about the water between the connection and the ball in the ball value. Nothing a small tupperware container won't catch tho.

Thanks for the tips guys! Eventually I would love to be all hard piped CIP, but that is many years away.

-Micah

Back