Passat or CC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthekeg

Reaction score
I am needing to get a new work car, I have depreciated out my 09 Passat. So for tax reasons, as well as the old car having 150k miles, does anyone have experience with the CC?
My GF just purchased the Audi A4, but she bought the bare bones model, that was more than the CC, but has less features. I don't really want to spend 10K more than a loaded CC for the A4 to have similar features. Especially when I put on 40-50k miles annually.

The main reason why I would go with the Passat is for the TDI feature that the CC doesn't have. 10 more mpg would add up to about 3000 dollars difference at today's fuel prices on 150k miles.

3750 gallons diesel @ 4.00/gal
5172 gallons gas @ 3.50/gal

Any reason why you aren't considering a domestic/Jap vehicle with similar mileage specs to the gasser Europs?

Repairs and maintenance are generally cheaper on domestic/Jap vehicles. Thus further improving the savings on the investment.

I know there aren't any domestic diesels in teh passnger cars lineups this year but, there are rumoured to be several available next year.

Any reason why you aren't considering a domestic vehicle with similar mileage specs?

Repairs and maintenance are generally cheaper on domestic vehicles. Thus further improving the savings on the investment.

Well, my GM diesel pickup has been nothing but a POS since I bought it. Engine issues, doors don't fit right, wiper problems, injectors, I think it was made before a holiday or the first day back.

My Dodge Durango was okay, but I got screwed over by the local dealer on a repair and won't step foot in there ever again.

The main reason for VW is that they have a small diesel that runs well and lasts a long time. Small diesels in the US are pretty much non existant thanks to Kalifornia. My current Passat has gone 150k with only axle shaft and brakes along with oil changes and tires. I have been very happy.

Well, my GM diesel pickup has been nothing but a POS since I bought it. Engine issues, doors don't fit right, wiper problems, injectors, I think it was made before a holiday or the first day back.

My Dodge Durango was okay, but I got screwed over by the local dealer on a repair and won't step foot in there ever again.

The main reason for VW is that they have a small diesel that runs well and lasts a long time. Small diesels in the US are pretty much non existant thanks to Kalifornia. My current Passat has gone 150k with only axle shaft and brakes along with oil changes and tires. I have been very happy.

Understood. Carry on. My limited experience with European makes has been less than savory and I would gladly opt for a domestic/jap maker as a result.

Parts have been expensive. Special tools have been many and difficult to find. Have had too many odd special parts to find too. Blah. Blah. Blah.

2002 Volvo 1.9l V4. Never again.

I used to love Volkswagen. But, then again that was back in the original BUG days too.

And then there is my GM. Nearing 102K miles and has never been in a shop for non-recall repairs. Worst I have had is a soiled MAF sensor and a couple recalls.

My boss bought a cc about a year and a half ago...he isn't really crazy about it. But he doesn't hate it enough to justify taking the loss and trading it in. It's been in the shop twice for repair. I don't recall what the issues were, one day it just stopped running while he was driving to work lol

That said, I have never heard anything on the cc other than this one guy. So there could be people that are crazy about it. Check edmunds for owner reviews, I find them pretty reliable.

I just took delivery of a 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, so far it's great and I can't complain. I did have to wait a LONG time to get it (I ordered it). Ordered late October, got in late Jan.

It's been getting around 39-40 MPG. It's not quite as economical as a Jetta (it is MUCH larger than a Jetta) but man... it's roomy! I'm 6'4" and I don't even have the seat all the way back. The trunk is downright cavernous.

I'd recommend that if you go the Passat route, try to find an in-stock car that you like. Ordering takes wayyyy too long.

FYI, the 2012 Passat is made in Chattanooga TN.

MC

Jetta GLI! LOL I am a GTI owner and wish I went for the GLI. When the turbo spins up and you get sucked into your seat you can't help but smile!

Honestly though, if you want to spend less money on gas, go with a TDI. If you want to be more comfortable, go with the CC. With the amount of time you seem to spend in your vehical, I would go with the CC.

Jetta GLI! LOL I am a GTI owner and wish I went for the GLI. When the turbo spins up and you get sucked into your seat you can't help but smile!

Honestly though, if you want to spend less money on gas, go with a TDI. If you want to be more comfortable, go with the CC. With the amount of time you seem to spend in your vehical, I would go with the CC.

I've had my Jetta GLI since 04 (it's an 03) and it still runs like a champ, even after leaving it to my wife on three one year long deployments where she hardly maintanced it. In 8 years i've only replaced the battery and did a break job on it. It's not as good on gas as my wife's 2.5 rabbit, but I love having the extra power. Still $40 (and thats with premium) get me through a week with a 45 minute comute in the stop and go of Seattle Tacoma traffic.

Just one thing to note for the CC, being that it's turbocharged, you probably will have to use premium unleaded fuel. So I would guess you'll be paying more than 3.50/gal, which will change your calculations and give you even more fuel savings by going with the Passat.

I actually work in front services for a private clubhouse, so I sometimes move around member's cars. I've driven both the Passat and CC many times and I think performance wise they are really comparable. The CC also doesn't have too many more features than the Passat if I remember correctly. The Passat comes with pretty much every luxury feature you could want: leather, power everything, push button ignition, etc. And I'm sure you could get the upgraded package for less than what you'd pay for the CC.

Additionally, the shape of the CC makes the cabin seem less roomy than the Passat, especially in the rear seat headspace. I don't know if you have guests or clients in your car often, but that's a consideration in my opinion.

Own a 02 passat. Premium gas, Synthetic oil = big bucks.

So what is wrong with your 09? 150000 miles shouldnt be a problem with regular maintenance

Back