Help with mash tun sparge arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramz7887

Reaction score
Here is a video of the new sparge arm. I designed it in a trial run but do you think I will be ok with this flow rate? There are 4 posts with 8x 1/16" dia holes. It seems kinda fast to me, granted its hooked up to the plumbing of the house but the ball valve is almost shut off.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKKK4TTBb3Q]YouTube - Mash Tun sparge arm[/ame]

Thanks

With the ways thats dripping do you think It will break the grain bed when its full?

I think it will be fine. The psi coming out of the house will be quite a bit higher than your brewing system. And as long as you keep the level of sparg above the grain bed it will be just fine.

John

on a lower psi it doesn't go through all the tubes though. Do you think I should put more? its only gonna be gravity feed.

the area that gets sparg water to come out isn't as important as keeping it above the grain bed. You just run your sparg until you collect all the wort that you are shooting for after that it's waste water. When you get close to your target collection, turn off the sparg and finish draining.

Just a suggestion (take it for what you will) if you flip the sparge arm you made so the holes are in the top of the pipes the water will most likely exit through all of the holes, and it will not hit the grainbed as hard. As bobby m mentioned you do not want it that high either. You can run some High temp silicon hose from your existing mount down to the grainbed. Hope it works out for you.

Back