"Floaters" left even after secondary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
Ok I just brewed a MW Fat Tire clone that I read after buying doesn't really taste like FT but makes good beer.

I did 10 days in the Primary and 10 in the secondary then bottled. Everything went fine however I noticed when I was racking from the secondary to the bottling bucket that there were these little floating pieces about the size of 1/3-1/2 of a rice grain. I didn't think much of it, I thought it was just yeast that hadn't settled out. What was weird was that they didn't settle and they didn't exactily float to the top so it was nearly impossible to avoid siphoning them up and subsequently bottling them.

After a month in the bottle the beer doesn't taste extremely well, its quite drinkable but just not really great. After only brewing a few batches its hard to explain the taste but it seems a bit green possibly however I can't see how after nearly 2 months since brewing. I got to thinking if I got some funk in the beer or if its just certain flavors from the Bel Abbey yeast.

Sorry no pics, but they are sized as noted above and light colored. Also all equipment was "sanitized" with One Step which I have read has been degraded lately to a cleaner due to increased requirements.

I brewed JZ's cream ale and I had floaties that sound like yours.

They settled somewhat after carbing and refrigeration but were still present. Everyone liked that beer but me. I gave most of it away.

I had those in an amber ale I kegged last week. I crash cooled for a couple of days, everything settled but those little bits on the surface. I was worried that they were some kind of infection, but that batch tastes very good, no sourness or off tastes at all.

Just persistent yeasties, I guess. I used US-05 for that batch.

Back