Help...keg top leaking w/fishing line f/dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
So, I'm giving dry hopping in the keg for the first time using a 3" tea ball. Tied a piece of fishing line on the ball and ran it out through the lid as I've read described here. Fairly thin line; 6# test.

Of course, no problems with leaks during my test run earlier today. But just racked beer, put in the hops, sealed the lid and hit it with 30 psi and it's leaking to beat the band. I've tried moving the line to different points around the seal to no avail. O-ring is lubed.

Any suggestions?

Take off the fishing line?

That's all I can think of. I don't use a line at all- I just chuck the tea ball in there. The dryhopping seems fine, especially since the keg is kept cold in the kegerator. I haven't had any off-flavors from keeping the hops in the keg until the keg is gone. Of course, my IPAs only last 3 weeks or so at my house!

I may end up doing that. I was planning on leaving this keg at room temp for a week and then pulling the hops and putting it in the kegerator when room opens up. I'm just going to leave it for tonight; I purged the headspace with CO2 and I can't imagine much air exchange happening.

If I'm motivated in the morning, I may try running the line under the o-ring (btwn the ring and the lid) and see if that helps.

Get a stir bar or any plastic covered magnet and tie the string to it.

Lower the tea ball into the keg.

Place the magnet inside of the keg against the wall and use a larger (stronger) magnet on the outside of the keg to hold the inside magnet in place. ;)

This also works as a quick indicator that shows you which kegs are dry hopping. :mug:

That sounds like it'll work. Just picked up a couple of bar magnets that seem strong enough to hold together thru the keg lid. Will give it a whirl when I get off work.

Thx for the idea. :mug:

It does not need to be sealed until you are ready to carbonate.

Do you figure the seal that is achieved with the line in place (i.e. pretty good, but not airtight) is adequate to keep the headspace free of O2 over a 10 day period? That's the only thing I'm concerned with at this point.

Yes, CO2 is heavier than air anyway, so O2 isn't going to make it back in once you purge the headspace with co2.

I use unflavored dental floss, sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling, but always seals.

If you use a magnet it had better be a strong one, an ounce of wet hops in a teaball is heavy!

If you use a magnet it had better be a strong one, an ounce of wet hops in a teaball is heavy!

I think he was referring to thius one;

15cern.xlarge1.jpg

Could also JB weld or tack weld a SS washer to the inside of the lid for a place to tie the string on inside.

SS hose clamp attached to the underside of the lid and tie the fish line to the clamp. Lost a tank of CO2 to that damn fish line through the top once.

Quick update: bought a pair of bar magnets for $2.79, tied off to one and placed the other on the outside of the lid. In business.

I may try the floss next time, as I like the simplicity of having something just protruding through the lid.

I suspect that it sealed during my dry run because the weight of the ball wasn't there to pull on the seal. Even if a perfect seal isn't necessary till carbonating, I'll sleep better now! :D

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Back