So I've decided....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spriggan486

Reaction score
That the fermentation buckets are the SH**

I used a bucket for the first time yesterday that I picked up on a quick visit to my LHBS, I must say that it was a much better experience than using my carboy. Easier to sanitize, less stuff to sanitize, and I can only imagine how much easier cleaning will be. It might be because i am a complete and total noob, but buckets just seem like the way to go, at least to me they do.

Well, thanks for reading my .02, hope I didn't waste too much of your time. :mug:

That the fermentation buckets are the SH**

I used a bucket for the first time yesterday that I picked up on a quick visit to my LHBS, I must say that it was a much better experience than using my carboy. Easier to sanitize, less stuff to sanitize, and I can only imagine how much easier cleaning will be. It might be because i am a complete and total noob, but buckets just seem like the way to go, at least to me they do.

Well, thanks for reading my .02, hope I didn't waste too much of your time. :mug:

I use buckets for all of my 1.055 or lower beers. I only go to the 6.5 gallon carboy when I have a big beer that I need to rig a blowoff tube.

Buckets are the shizzle. :rockin:

Yes...this is the best I could do for my 8,000th post

I've only 1 batch under my belt, but using a carboy to ferment just doesn't appeal to me. I like the fact that i can get right into a bucket to give it a good clean out, it's easier to get a hydro sample, the white plastic helps minimize light damage and it's lighter and unbreakable, therefore safer to move if necessary (i.e. over to the sink for siphoning into bottles, on a towel on the floor for pouring stuff in from a height to aerate it). Maybe in the future if i ever want to try secondaries i'll consider it again but for now buckets are the way forward.

Also grats BierMuncher on 8k posts :p

My favorite part is that I can dump in some sanitizer, and shove everything inside the bucket. Then I just soak my hands for a bit, and start pulling everything back out and I'm done.

Don't you like watching your lovely brew as she goes to work? haha

My first batch in glass had me totally in awe! I showed it to anyone who came around.
Buckets are much easier to clean and carry, but are also easier to scratch and hang onto nasties.

Buckets are great for primaries, that don't need a blow off, but I always use a carboy for secondary.

My first batch in glass had me totally in awe! I showed it to anyone who came around.
Buckets are much easier to clean and carry, but are also easier to scratch and hang onto nasties.

Agree!

I currently have two carboys going as secondary's right now and another as primary. The bucket is awaiting its day soon...i'm thinking a SA Winter Brew Clone :rockin:

I have used, buckets, water dispenser barrelles, etc etc... i agree Buckets are easier to clean, but they can get scratched and hold contamination in the roughed up plastic. Plastic bottles or better bottles work well but getting a gravit reading is a pain in the ass, the same with the glass carboys... so buckets are pretty nice... I use 2 buckts and 4 5 gallon water jugs.

Cheers

Back