HBT'ers in person

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There's a thread asking how many HBT'ers you've met. Aside from being jealous of olllllo, I had another idea of something that would be fun. We all have our internet personas, but maybe some of you who have met can give a short impression of a fellow HBT'er that might surprise us.

For example,

Sause: talks a lot in person, but is almost silent on the forums.

ollllllo: easy going guy who is very funny and witty (and is married to an absolutely gorgeous and charming woman)

Pseudochef: doesn't look old enough to drink, but is an intelligent married father of a little girl

I have more, for later, but does anybody else have any short impressions to share, to give us a glimpse into the "real" people?

Oh no, this can't end well for me.

j/k

What I can say is that no one that I've met in person matched what I was expecting. It just goes to show how unrepresentative someone's written word can be.

EdWort - Ed has a story for everything, and they're all very interesting. Sit down and have a beer with Ed and you'll never be bored.

Yooper - Sit down to have a beer with Yoop and you won't get a word in edgewise. She'll make you laugh your arse off though.

RichBrewer - is as very quiet man, but he gets in a few good lines from time to time.

I'll also add some more later.

Oh no, this can't end well for me.

j/k

What I can say is that no one that I've met in person matched what I was expecting. It just goes to show how unrepresentative someone's written word can be.

Bobby, give us some details!

I've been kind of brought down lately by all the negative posts, so I'm looking for some unexpected positive words about some other HBTers. I've genuinely liked everyone I met.

More from me:

Bearcat Brewmeister is very easy to talk to about numerous subjects.

Ohiobrewtus easily smiles and laughs. He's also married to a gorgeous and sweet woman.

It's hard to say. Everybody that I've met has been cool and laid back. Not a person that I wouldn't toss back a few beers with, anytime.

Hippie; he's a hippie ;)
Kaiser; he's crazy when he's druck. Just as meticulous with his brewing as you would expect, and makes some mighty-fine BBQ.
Glibbidy; surprisingly, clean-shaven
Jester; reminds me a lot of my older brother (a good thing)
Red; even cooler in person than she is online
Melana; I wouldn't **** with her, she'll kick your ass ;)

Laughing Gnome laughs a lot, and he is a gnome. Sometimes he makes irrelevant posts in threads that he likes just so that he can keep track of them easily. :eek:

I've met Bobby_M and Shecky and they're both similar to their personas in the real world (edit - which is good). I also met Dr Vorlauf and Dillbag who are both quiet on here, but good guys in the real world. I think 9 out of 10 people on here are good people...

I've met Bobby_M and Shecky and they're both similar to their personas in the real world. I also met Dr Vorlauf and Dillbag who are both quiet on here, but good guys in the real world. I think 9 out of 10 people on here are good people...
Is that good or bad?:eek:

Just met Soulive and wish I could have spent more time with him, but he was off to surf and I was getting my offspring back to CT. Definitely a man I'd hang with.

Is that good or bad?:eek:

Just met Soulive and wish I could have spent more time with him, but he was off to surf and I was getting my offspring back to CT. Definitely a man I'd hang with.

Likewise man, if only we had time for some PB&J with homebrew...:mug:

Professor Frink- went to HS with him, and reconnected on here when I stumbled across one of his druck pics :)

Firebrewer- a screwball, so we get along well. :mug:

AnoldUR- would have been good to spend more time with him and SWMBO- but they were off to run a 50 mile race. Phew, makes me tired just thinking about it. :)

Yooper - Agree with ohio - extremely talkative and always laughing. There was a reason I sat next to her during the banquet instead of with my club.

Ohiobrewtus - Always happy and with a smile (I guess it's a trend amongst homebrewers?) Nice and generous, as well.

Evan! - Much more reserved than online, but I also caught him in the middle of a double (or triple?) brewday, so he was a little busy - but the most generous HBTer I've met - sending me home with tons of beer in exchange for my measly 6-pack.

I've met with 5-6 HBTs and have been advised by my attorney to invoke my 5th Amendment rights...:drunk:

EDIT: I've been advised that I can add the following: I've had a good time with all the members I have met so and would enjoy another brew or two with them again some time in the future should the occasion arise.

I'll concur, 'Brewtus is a cool bastard, too. We had a great time out with you and that S.O.B. Gregarious, I think is the word I'm looking for.

MrFebtober is genial and easy to talk to, and knows his beer. (he is also married to a gorgeous woman- what is it with brewers and their hot spouses?)

Richbrew is a genuinely nice guy- he'd give you the shirt off his back. He also looks way younger than 49!

Edwort can tell funny and intelligent stories like nobody's business!

Clayof2day is very intelligent and has a great sense of humor.

chrisK is, well, a unique individual who can laugh at himself and make others laugh too.

beerthirty- Easy to get along with, likes to take notes on beers while he's drinking them. Strikes me as the kind of guy who would rather use a propane tank and torch instead of a lawn mower......preferably when drinking whiskey or tequila.

Well I have only met one HBTer so far as I'm pretty isolated with regards to travel.
Living on an Island has definate disadvantages as well as advantages.
But I have met a few brewers from other forums that have come to visit this little piece of Paradise. In fact last night I met with a fellow MoBster ( Member of Barleyment ) from Ottawa, who was in town on business, and we went out for a few brews and to shoot a few games of 8 ball.
Next week when he returns, we'll get together for a BBQ and a few more brews. Always great to meet a fellow brewer and shoot the bull about brewing. So far everyone I have met, have become people who I would not hesitate to invite to my home to share good brews, and some have become close friends.
Were I living on the mainland, I think I would have met quite a few more by now, as travel wouldn't be as restricted as it is to me now. To drive off this Island would require a night crossing of the ferry to Nova Scotia, and that ain't cheap.

Short Drive is very smart, and is very interesting to talk to.

BernieBrewer can talk fishing and hunting and baseball and basketball WAY better than anyone else I know.

I've only met Bill (homebrewer_99 ).

Had a good time with him and drank quite a few beers. I'd definately have a few more with him if he comes back to my neck of the woods. I know you say the first round is on you but I'll take the next one.

Lets see:
Yooper can drink you under the table. And is a Hop Head. She has the energy of maybe three people. Sitting between her and Brewmeister Jeff was a riot.
Sause is the nephew of a famous for Milwaukee professional wrestler, oh and he just loves sour beer
Bernie Brewer seems passionate about everything he does: work, brewing (he doesn't use dry yeast) , the Brewers, finding his way out of downtown Milwaukee.
olllllo has some great traveling stories but you already figured that (ask him about having to give up a shoe to get a beer)
Brewmeister Jeff is always late but makes up for it by being twice as much fun
Cookiebags brews in his bakery and is very serious about his beer.

Some of the people I've met.

Dude- Not as mellow as his name would lead you to believe.

olllllo- Not really a Jeep

Yooper- I never actually said a word when I was with her. I don't know where she thinks I talk alot.

Pumbaa- Yes is really that nuts and has a great mustache now.

Here are a couple of my impressions of some great folks

Dude and his SWMBO: Down to earth fantastic people! I felt like we were friends as soon as we met in person. I've got a tremendous amount of respect for both of them.

olllllo and his SWMBO. You will never meet nicer people. They both have a heart of gold!

Brewtopia: He is the biggest beer enthusiast I've ever known as well as a very generous person.

BrewPastor: A genuinely caring and funny man. Oh and he has more brewing knowledge in his pinky than I have in my brain!

Yooper: I will always consider her a good friend. I thought she was a cool lady from HBT but when I met her in person, I was even more impressed. She is a very intelligent, interesting, and engaging person. What you see is what you get with Yooper and that is a very good thing!

I've met more folks and I'll try and say some things about them as well. I will say that without exception, everyone I've met has been wonderful!

Am I the only one who at first glance read the title of this thread as "HBT'ers in prison?" :drunk:

Hmmmm

Yooper:

Is a a huge social butterfly. don't try keeping up; it can't be done.

Sause:

Knows more about beers styles than anyone. Especially impressive when you realize how young he is. I know he's sick of hearing comments about his youth, but he is wise well beyond his years. Introduced me to Roquefort, for which I will be forever both grateful and resentful.

Cookiebags:

The most common-sense HBT'er I've met. Know what he wants, and goes and gets it.

More to come.........

Am I the only one who at first glance read the title of this thread as "HBT'ers in prison?" :drunk:

Does jail count? :D Been there, done that.

Kiltedbrewer: seems just like his online persona; Does not speak overmuch, but when he does he's intelligent and helpful.

McKbrew; biggest ********* I've ever met in my entire life. :D Just kidding man! Actually hes a really cool guy, not at all what I expected when I met him.

Brewtopia; to say he's a 'beer enthusiast' is like saying Hitler was a little put off by the Jews. The man is legendary when it comes to beer! And it seems like he knows everyone (and I do mean everyone) in the industry as well.

Brewmeister Jeff: As Yooper said, he's quite a character. He'll keep you in stitches, but I'm not going to say my jaw hurt, cuz that invites some innuendos that Yooper shoulda seen coming.:D

Short Drive:

Great Guy. Would do anything for you.

Z987K is a really cool guy. He is however a bit confused. Most motorcycle riders have what they call a "Dry Box" for keeping everything that needs to be dry. He first broke a bottle of mead in said box, and then one of the bottles of beer I gave him to take back broke and re-soaked everything in there. :(
I guess I'll be mailing a few bottles to him to try and make up for it.

Pretty cool to actually meet someone from here and have that person be a real life stand up sort of character.

I have to resurrect this for a few more insights.

Brian P is really a smart guy- and very nice to talk to. Understated and intelligient, for sure.

Revvy is the only person I know who talks as much I as I do. Very kind hearted and easy to talk to.

Firebrewer is a riot- maybe a bit on the "crazy" side, but in a good way!

BjornBrewer is funny and smart, and an alternative music fan. Which makes him awesome in my book.

Brewstir is deeper than he seems at first- very articulate and intelligent.

Shonuff was just a quick meet- but my impression was very positive. Very nice guy.

CBaron is a very nice guy, with a great sense of humor.

Iamaguitargod is very, well, Californian, dude. Makes you laugh your ass off.

Back