An Romanian Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonNative

Reaction score
Do any of you know any Romanian recipes? I'm looking for a Romanian beer, wine, ect recipe. I have some very close family friends who moved here from Romania about 25 years ago. I'd love to suprise them with a batch of beer simliar to something they drank in their old home. :mug:

*EDIT* I know I messed up the title.

I would think lack of availability of beers from Romania might make finding a clone recipe difficult. The only native brew I know of is Timisoreana, which, if I remember correctly, was a decent German-style lager. Certainly not the best beer I had on that trip, but probably the only Romanian beer I had. Good luck in your search!

Man, I thought this was a "Romulan Ale" thread, you know Star Trek, bright green, toasts' you, and leaves you with a massive headache.

I think that like the old Yugoslavia, they tend to drink their wines and beers instead of exporting them. I used to be able to get limited wines when I was in Italy many years ago, but sorry I have no recipes.

When I was there last summer my favorite was Ursus Black, although the Ursus regular ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursus_(beer) ) was pretty good too. I liked them both better than Timisoreana, although interestingly enough I heard that Tuborg brews a lot of beer there for distribution in Europe.

I'm mad late to the party, but there is a drink that your Romanian friends would love if you made it. Socata, it's made with honey, elderflower, lemon and cirtric acid. It's very simple and low abv. In 10 litres mix 500grams honey with 10 fresh elderflowers (dried is ok but you may need to add yeast) add 1 tbs lemon salt (citric acid) After 1 day you have a nice tea, after 2 weeks you have a short mead. It is also very common to put in beer bottles adding priming sugar (or honey) for nice carbonation.

I was just in Romania and there was a distinct lack of beer beyond the standard European pilsner

There was a very good winery called A Thousand Faces or something like that and they are trying to start a real modern wine culture in Romania replicating French and Italian styles with Romanian flair.

Traditional wine in Romania is tart and harsh compared to French or Italian but it is one of the oldest wine producing regions in the world.

No recipes for you but maybe that's a clue that will be helpful

I was just in Romania and there was a distinct lack of beer beyond the standard European pilsner

There was a very good winery called A Thousand Faces or something like that and they are trying to start a real modern wine culture in Romania replicating French and Italian styles with Romanian flair.

Traditional wine in Romania is tart and harsh compared to French or Italian but it is one of the oldest wine producing regions in the world.

No recipes for you but maybe that's a clue that will be helpful

So you've been to a supermarket kind of deal and/or bodegas? But seriously, there is craft beer in Romania, like local craft beer ( it's up and coming - only around 35 micro breweries at the moment ) and a lot from the UK, US, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, etc. You haven't really went to any dedicated craft beer spots if the only things you found were macro lagers.

Wine I don't drink/like, so I don't care.

But there are no real, traditional beers or beer recipes from Romania. Macro/corn lagers have been produced in the past, like in the last 30-40 years. Craft beer has only been around for 4-5 years, with a long, slow 2 year start out of the 4-5.

To the OP - it depends what kind of beer they drink. If it's just a lager, then barley and a good portion of corn/maize. 15 IBUs, under 5%, meh... If they drink craft, then anything really, although the most annoying thing that is happening is that everyone* wants either IPAs, either big Imperial Stouts... boring.

So you've been to a supermarket kind of deal and/or bodegas? But seriously, there is craft beer in Romania, like local craft beer ( it's up and coming - only around 35 micro breweries at the moment ) and a lot from the UK, US, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, etc. You haven't really went to any dedicated craft beer spots if the only things you found were macro lagers.

Wine I don't drink/like, so I don't care.

But there are no real, traditional beers or beer recipes from Romania. Macro/corn lagers have been produced in the past, like in the last 30-40 years. Craft beer has only been around for 4-5 years, with a long, slow 2 year start out of the 4-5.

To the OP - it depends what kind of beer they drink. If it's just a lager, then barley and a good portion of corn/maize. 15 IBUs, under 5%, meh... If they drink craft, then anything really, although the most annoying thing that is happening is that everyone* wants either IPAs, either big Imperial Stouts... boring.

No I was there for work so my experience was limited to restaurants and the winery that we were hosted at

I was told that craft beer is up and coming and that there are a few dedicated craft beer bars in Bucharest, and I was disappointed to not be able to find it.

but my suggestion was based on that fact that the OP wanted something that reminds his relatives of home.

If they have been gone more than 4-5 years then they wouldnt associate craft beer with memories of Romania, so they would most likely think of lagers, wine, or palinke (spelling?)

Craft beer has only been around for 4-5 years, with a long, slow 2 year start out of the 4-5.

Considering the thread is 11 years old (is this a record?) we can't fault the original contributors for not mentioning Romanian craft beer in 2008 then...

Back