Coffin Keezer build help/ questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFGiantsFan925

Reaction score
Hey all, I am in the prcess of building my first Keezer. I am super excited and its going well so far. I have ran into a few problems though. I need help building the "coffin".

Heres the specs:
GE 7cu ft freezer
Freezer is 37" w x 21" d x 33" h
My top is going to be about 41" wide with 1x3 trim. This way I can put 3 12x12 granite tiles on top. I am thinking the coffin will be about 16" wide.

Wanting to build a coffin with 3 taps.

Questions:
How high is a typical coffin?
How deep is the coffin?
Is 16" way too wide for a 3 tap coffin?? Typical width for 3 taps? I plan on using 4" or 4.5" spacing of taps. Perlick 525ss taps
Any general dimensions on a 3 tap coffin? I am planning on using plywood to make the general shape then use something on the outside so I can stain it to make it look the way I want.

I have searched and looked at endless keezer builds and I cant seem to answer my questions. People post pictures and descriptions, but nobody really gives dimensions.

Thanks everyone!!!

From the top of my freezer to the center of a tap is 14 inches. From the center of the tap to the top is about another 4 inches so my coffin is roughly 18" tall. You may want to go a little shorter since you coffin won't be as wide as mine. My coffin is 24 inches wide and has 5 taps. My taps are spaced 4 inches on center from each other. If I were you I would make your coffin 16 inches wide like you are thinking of doing. I would go ahead and use a stain grade plywood to build the coffin instead of using normal plywood and then a stain grade on top. Stain grade plywood is expensive but will probably end up costing less then what you are thinking of doing. Where I live home depot has a 4'x8' sheet of stain grade oak for $43. I ended up using a thicker sheet of stain grade birch which cost $45.

Take a look at my build to see how those dimensions turned out.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-build-347835/

Thats a nice looking build! Thanks for your measurements. Any chance you remember how deep the coffin is? I think thats one of the measurements I am having trouble with. I do not plan on mounting any regulators or anything inside the coffin. It will all be in the freezer. I was thinking 12" deep. That sound about right?? I know there are no exact plans to building one of these, but I am FAR from any type of carpenter. Its fun to make these types of things, but my building skills are lacking haha.

My coffin is 14 inches deep, but the actual interior depth at the base is only 11 inches deep. This is because I set my back splash back into the coffin to allow for the LEDs to be hidden which are in a pocket above the back splash. Those dimensions work out well with my size freezer. I would consider the depth of the freezer you have when considering building the coffin. Basically how much distance do you want to have to reach when standing at the front of the keezer in order to reach the taps.

keezerDepth.jpg

keezerDepth2.jpg

SFGiantsFan925, planning is everything.

I have built two keezers and it seems like I spend more time planning than I do actually building. The size of the coffin really does not matter as long as its big enough for the amount of faucets and spacing you want. Also take into account your faucet shank length when considering the depth of the coffin. On my second coffin I planned it around the tile so I only had to cut two 1/2" square tiles. Lay everything out dry and adjust your coffin size accordingly.

Here are my two coffin dimensions

(Coffin only)5 tap-13 1/2" tall X 16 1/2" wide X 6 1/8" deep
tap spacing is 3" and height of the tap center is 11"

2 tap-14 3/8" tall X 14" wide X 6" deep at the top, the base is 9 3/4" deep
tap spacing is 8 1/2" and height of the tap center is 12 1/4"

Thanks for the help guys.

I have planned everything out through sketches on paper, with lots of measurements and planning. I have never built anything like this before, and I wanted to be prepared. I went to Home Depot today, took forever, bought the wood (used all whitewood/pine), bought most other things I needed to build, and started the build.

It actually went really smooth. I mitered the top trim pieces, and I think I have a pretty good start going. Ill post pics up tonight when I upload them. Pretty happy for zero woodworking skills and very limited experience in anything like this.

So far, I have the top, the trim on both the top and bottom of the top, trimmed the bottom frame, and built the coffin!! Its not perfect, but a perfect start to a life of ever improving on my keezer design. Like I said, pics to come

Back