Are the Blichmann Boilermaker pots worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5DollsBrewery

Reaction score
I'm upgrading from a VERY cheap SS 5 gallon pot and would like to invest in a pot that will last. I don't mind shelling out a couple hundred for a 10 gallon brew pot but I want to make sure it's worth it.

also are the thermometers on those able to handle boiling or are they just for the Mash Tun? I'm going all grain soon so want to make sure I purchase the right stuff the first time and don't waste my money.

Any cheaper alternatives that would work just as well?

Also this is my first post. I've been a long time lurker and now first time poster.

Marc:mug:

The thermometers have no issue with boiling temps. The Blichmann/BoilerMaker kettles are first a KETTLE, as in for boiling wort. You can add a false bottom to it to convert it to a mash tun.

As for alternatives, IF you can get your hands on a couple of 1/2 barrel kegs, you can convert those for less.

I'm also looking at a Blichmann, but I'm wondering if it is worth that much more than getting a megapot from northern brewer. I'm really only looking for a boil kettle, cause my 7.5 is just too small.

Should I save my money and get the megapot?

Why get the 15 gal? Is that just to give you the freedom of a 10 gallon batch?

Most of my boils are at least 9.5 gallons now (getting 6.5-7 gallons into fermenter, to get 6 gallons to keg). So, a 10 gallon kettle is too small. If I wanted to do a longer boil, I'd need even more space (such as to reduce a bigger beer to it's target OG). I used my keggle for the first time on my old ale, which was about 12 gallons in the boil. I reduced it down to about 7 gallons into primary/fermenter.

As for going with a megapot... Never used one, never seen one in person. I would go with the keggle route if it I was you, provided you have access to some base kegs. Making your own keggle means you'll be able to customize it to fit YOUR desires. You can also go with better hardware where you wish, and not have items you don't need (or don't see the need for initially).

5DollsBrewery said:
I'm upgrading from a VERY cheap SS 5 gallon pot and would like to invest in a pot that will last. I don't mind shelling out a couple hundred for a 10 gallon brew pot but I want to make sure it's worth it.

also are the thermometers on those able to handle boiling or are they just for the Mash Tun? I'm going all grain soon so want to make sure I purchase the right stuff the first time and don't waste my money.

Any cheaper alternatives that would work just as well?

Also this is my first post. I've been a long time lurker and now first time poster.

Marc:mug:

I've been honking about one of these too. Looking forward to the responses.

My current keggle in use:
2012-03-03_23-26-37_880.jpg

I'm selling it (tomorrow I hope) and will be making a replacement over the next few weeks. I have the base keg already polished up. Just need to cut the top and put the holes in it. Need to get with the welder/machine shop I use to get two items (TC ferrules) welded in for the new sight tube assembly.

+1 on the fifteen gallon recommendations. I got a 10 gallon as my first "real pot" it has since been upgraded and has sat on the shelf for about two years........

9 out of 10 peeps will tell you to start with a 15 gallon pot. I have a 5 tap kegerator, I don't drink all that much, I like variety, and I like brewing often. All that adds up to me never really wanting or needing to ever brew anything more than 5-6 gallon batches.

With that said, my first pot was a 10 gallon boilermaker and I have two 10 gallon coolers for mash tun and HLT. When I replace my coolers with pots, I will most likely go ahead and get 15 gallon pots. Why? Because the cost in most cases is negligible. However, when I do that, my 10 gallon will still have a place in my system as the HLT or Boil pot depending on the situation.

Bottom line, if your situation somewhat resembles mine, then it will probably be ok to start with a 10 gallon to allow yourself some left over cash for other things that are more critical. If you decide to add the flexibility of 10 gallon batches in the future, then that 10 gallon pot can still have a place without becoming obsolete.

SpikeBrewing said:
In my opinion I think we offer a kettle of equal quality for about half the price AND our kettles come with welded couplers.

10 gallon - www.spikebrewing.com/10_gallon_kettle

15 gallon - www.spikebrewing.com/15_gallon_kettle

Everytime someone brings up kettles you post this. Then when someone points out that you have to add a ball valve, thermometer, sight glass and the coupler for the sight glass and the price is about the same and your pots come from China and blichman is US made you drop off the thread

I've got Blichmanns and love them. Yes, I could have saved ~$50 each by getting something else with similar features, but I love the protected sight glass and the bling factor. I'll echo the other comments regarding going with 15gal. I comfortably do 5 and 10 gallon batches. For a difference of $60 you know you won't need another kettle if you make the 10gal jump. Worth it in my eyes.

Everytime someone brings up kettles you post this. Then when someone points out that you have to add a ball valve, thermometer, sight glass and the coupler for the sight glass and the price is about the same and your pots come from China and blichman is US made you drop off the thread

I usually don't stick around posts because I don't try and hard sell anyone. I know our kettles are the best value out there so I post a link and let our kettles do the talking. I will, however, stick around a thread if someone is bashing our company or giving false information, which I believe applies here.

First and foremost Blichmann kettles are not made in the US. Blichmann, Megapots, Bayou Classic, ours, etc are all made in China.

As for pricing....

Spike kettle:
$150 - 10gal Spike Brewing kettle
$20 - Ball valve
$26 - Thermo
$27 - Sight glass from Bobby_M
Total: $223 shipped to your door

Blichmann kettle:
$316 - 10gal Blichmann

So when you say about the same you mean $100 difference?

And again, it has to be pointed out that those options are not even in the same ballpark. Is that ball valve 3-piece stainless? Is that thermometer adjustable like the Blichmann? The plastic sight glass referenced is not even close to the one included with the Boilermaker. You also forgot the included snap in dip tube and the integrated stepped bottom.

No one is bashing your company but stop claiming you're offering the same quality for less when you simply are not. If you had said you offered something that was somewhat close but budget priced I don't think anyone would argue.

And again, it has to be pointed out that those options are not even in the same ballpark. Is that ball valve 3-piece stainless? Is that thermometer adjustable like the Blichmann? The plastic sight glass referenced is not even close to the one included with the Boilermaker. You also forgot the included snap in dip tube and the integrated stepped bottom.

No one is bashing your company but stop claiming you're offering the same quality for less when you simply are not. If you had said you offered something that was somewhat close but budget priced I don't think anyone would argue.

I'm not going to let the thread turn into a flame war. We're just letting the OP know there are other options out there. I know I'm not going to convince the Blichamnn lovers out there of anything.

No, you're just going to accuse another member of giving false info, then give some false info of your own, then call anyone that disagrees with you a blichmann lover.

:rolleyes:

No, you're just going to accuse another member of giving false info, then give some false info of your own, then call anyone that disagrees with you a blichmann lover.

:rolleyes:

**I'd like to apologize to the original poster for the thread getting hijacked but I'm done after defending our company one last time here**

First, saying Blichmann kettles are 'Made in the US' is false. People need to know that before spending top dollar on something they thought was made here in the US.
Second, I'm not sure what false info you think I gave? If you think you need a 3-piece valve, movable thermo or glass sight glass others sell them and you can bolt them right up to our kettles. The thermos and valves we sell are the best value out there in our opinion and that's why we sell them.

But we're done here. Good luck with what ever kettle you decide to buy and happy brewing! :mug:

Get an old keg for about $30-50, a ss valve for about $40, and a thermometer for about $40 and you have a 15 gal pot for $130 or less.

Guys... Spike is a vendor and pays for a vendor account. Is it that surprising that he would post a link to his product? Blichmanns are incredibly expensive. The most expensive kettle on the homebrewer market. Are they worth it? I don't know, I don't own one. But saying that it is out of line to make a suggestion is, well, out of line.

I have a 20 gallon Blichmann and like it; I would probably buy it again.

My reason for buying it was there were features that the pot had that I could try to replicate but would still not be the same. I enjoy the DIY side of this hobby but there is no sight glass that I could buy or build that would compare with what comes on the pot. Other features like the thermometer were less important to me as I have my own setup of digital thermometers; that part of the cost was probably wasted for me.

If you buy the Blichmann, you probably won't feel let down by the quality or engineering side of the product. It by no means is going to guarantee that you make any better of a beer.

You're not going to find an answer to "is it worth it" as only you can decide that; little in this hobby makes financial sense when you really add up all the costs and time involved.

As to your question "Any cheaper alternatives that would work just as well?"; with a Blichmann the answer is probably "yes, all of them".

bottlebomber said:
Guys... Spike is a vendor and pays for a vendor account. Is it that surprising that he would post a link to his product? Blichmanns are incredibly expensive. The most expensive kettle on the homebrewer market. Are they worth it? I don't know, I don't own one. But saying that it is out of line to make a suggestion is, well, out of line.

He doesn't make. Suggestion that he has something that will work as good for a cheaper price. He sugggest the quality is the same for a lot cheaper price. It isn't. Do you need the quality and price of the Blichman to make good beer. No. Will his stuff make as good of beer as the Blichman stuff for a cheaper price. Yeah probably, but if some one is asking for a comparrison of things and he says his is just as quality as Blichman for a lot cheaper price it isn't. New people need to know they are comparing apples to oranges and not apples to applea

My first (real) kettle purchase was an 8 gallon Megapot and that thing was a tank! I still use it today, for ice water recirc. and decoctions....but I recently purchased a Stout Tanks & Kettles 9.2 Gal. Boil kettle/whirpool pot. I freakin' LOVE it. Quality is good and I love the triclamp fittings. Only drawback for me was the initial cleaning process (having to remove all the manufacturing oil) from the parts, but aside from that I don't think I'll ever buy a different pot. I really like having the ability to hook up my pump and whirpool right in the kettle. Makes for a nice clear beer going into the fermenter.

I believe their website is www.conical-fermenter.com I think it is worth at least a look. :mug:

He doesn't make. Suggestion that he has something that will work as good for a cheaper price. He sugggest the quality is the same for a lot cheaper price. It isn't. Do you need the quality and price of the Blichman to make good beer. No. Will his stuff make as good of beer as the Blichman stuff for a cheaper price. Yeah probably, but if some one is asking for a comparrison of things and he says his is just as quality as Blichman for a lot cheaper price it isn't. New people need to know they are comparing apples to oranges and not apples to applea

That answers the OP's question of "Any cheaper alternatives that would work just as well?" to a T and is what I was trying to get at. Thanks :mug:

My first (real) kettle purchase was an 8 gallon Megapot and that thing was a tank! I still use it today, for ice water recirc. and decoctions....but I recently purchased a Stout Tanks & Kettles 9.2 Gal. Boil kettle/whirpool pot. I freakin' LOVE it. Quality is good and I love the triclamp fittings. Only drawback for me was the initial cleaning process (having to remove all the manufacturing oil) from the parts, but aside from that I don't think I'll ever buy a different pot. I really like having the ability to hook up my pump and whirpool right in the kettle. Makes for a nice clear beer going into the fermenter.

I believe their website is www.conical-fermenter.com I think it is worth at least a look. :mug:

I've always thought those things were awesome especially the fermentors!

SpikeBrewing said:
That answers the OP's question of "Any cheaper alternatives that would work just as well?" to a T and is what I was trying to get at. Thanks :mug:
!
Right and you said your was just as high quality at half the price. It can make just as good beer at half the price, but to say all things are equal but price is not the case.

JeepDiver said:
Right and you said your was just as high quality at half the price. It can make just as good beer at half the price, but to say all things are equal but price is not the case.

Maybe it is of equal quality, or better. I'm guessing you don't own one. Either way, trying to turn a simple thread where someone requested info about kettles - which Spike provided I might add - into a flame war is dumb. Just let it go man.

I simply can not see Blichmann as a resonable kettle. If someone let me spend $800+ on brewing equipment...the last thing I would want to end up with is two 10g kettles. I too once had the blingmann fever, and I actually got the go ahead from the SWMBO to spend $1000 upgrading to 5 gallon. If I bought a blichmann setup, thats about all i would have ended up with, instead of a HLT, MLT, 10 gallon kettle, chiller, new carboys, tubing, burners, etc.

To each his own but I also have to say that Stout kettles appear to be way better anyways, and cheaper...at least before shipping

I simply can not see Blichmann as a resonable kettle. If someone let me spend $800+ on brewing equipment...the last thing I would want to end up with is two 10g kettles. I too once had the blingmann fever, and I actually got the go ahead from the SWMBO to spend $1000 upgrading to 5 gallon. If I bought a blichmann setup, thats about all i would have ended up with, instead of a HLT, MLT, 10 gallon kettle, chiller, new carboys, tubing, burners, etc.

To each his own but I also have to say that Stout kettles appear to be way better anyways, and cheaper...at least before shipping

When I upgraded to 15 gallon batches, I needed to upgrade to a 20 gallon boil kettle. I looked at all options: Stout, Brewhemoth, Blichmann, and the no names. Only Blichmann could provide me with a 20 gallon kettle with valve, site gauge, thermometer, and pick up tube for $410 shipped.

So, for a 10 gallon pot, I agree--you can find something a lot cheaper than a Blichmann. But once you get past "Keggleland" and 15 gallon pots, Blichmann is actually a pretty affordable option.

Only Blichmann could provide me with a 20 gallon kettle with valve, site gauge, thermometer, and pick up tube for $410 shipped.

So, for a 10 gallon pot, I agree--you can find something a lot cheaper than a Blichmann. But once you get past "Keggleland" and 15 gallon pots, Blichmann is actually a pretty affordable option.

You didn't look hard enough. I just bought a 20 gallon stainless pot and 3 piece stainless valve with fittings for $150, shipped to my door. It doesn't have a sight glass and thermometer, but I feel those are a waste of money in a boil kettle any way.

You didn't look hard enough. I just bought a 20 gallon stainless pot and 3 piece stainless valve with fittings for $150, shipped to my door. It doesn't have a sight glass and thermometer, but I feel those are a waste of money in a boil kettle any way.

Sorry, I failed to mention that buying USA is also extremely important to my decision making process. Blichmann uses US parts for the vast majority of the time, and none of his stuff is assembled in China or any other 3rd World Country.

Also, as I've stated before, I really love the Boilermaker site gauge.

Sorry, I failed to mention that buying USA is also extremely important to my decision making process. Blichmann uses US parts for the vast majority of the time, and none of his stuff is assembled in China or any other 3rd World Country.

You also failed to read this.

First and foremost Blichmann kettles are not made in the US. Blichmann, Megapots, Bayou Classic, ours, etc are all made in China.

Thanks so much for the replies.

If I go with the 15 gallon wont I have to worry about
Excess boil off due to larger surface area as I brew my 5gallon batches?

Are sight glasses on them easy to clean?

Thanks much for the prompt answers. Love this place.

Thanks so much for the replies.

If I go with the 15 gallon wont I have to worry about
Excess boil off due to larger surface area as I brew my 5gallon batches?

Thanks much for the prompt answers. Love this place.

I do mostly 5.5 - 6gal batches and have the 15g blichmann. I probably boil off a little more than if I had gone with a 10gal pot, because I'm assuming that the 10gal is a slightly smaller diameter than the 16" of the 15gal.

However, having 8.5gal preboil come up almost to the top at the start of the hot break and not having to worry about boilover, not having to use fermcap or having to turn the burner down was worth it to me. I doubt my boiloff is more than .25g over what it would be in a 10gal pot.

If I ever move to doing 10gal batches I'd likely need to either really manage the kettle, or move to a 20gal for my boils and keep the 15 for a mashtun.

Sight glasses are absolutely pointless...I've got a 1 foot lab thermometer that I can hitch up to the top of my kettle...I filled my kettle and marked off what temp marking was what volume. I've never failed to hit my intended post boil volume to withing half a quart. I'd rather have to wipe off a thermo then clean a sight glass, and I would never pay for one. Just my opinion but I have never seen the need for these. Then again I am in indoor brewer so season and humidity play a smaller role in my boils.

Just to reinforce that idea. I did my first recipe this morning with leaf instead of pellet, and my first brew under 8%. Estimated absorption from hops and loss of absorption from less grain and still hit my mark. Just had to delay my 10 minute addition by 3 minute

Its the first page of my brew log. I mark what temp (C and F) equals what volume and then do some simple math to find the exact amount each degree (or five degrees) is per quart. Very simple, takes 10 minutes tops, and you can even be heating up your water while doing it so it actually doesn't take up an extra time.

If getting things as cheaply as possible is important to you then Blichmann kettles probably aren't for you.

They are worth the money in my opinion... but only you can decide if it's "worth it" to you.

Other kettles will work fine too... I would have no problem using a keggle or a bayou classic or whatever else out there.

Definitely consider getting a 15-gallon kettle instead of the 10-gallon. I wish I had.

Sight glasses aren't pointless. Some people consider them a useful tool.

Make sure to use the supplied heat shield when boiling to protect the thermometer and sight glass because contact with direct flame can damage them.

SpikeBrewing,

are your kettles 18-gauge stainless? Judging by the site description, they are close to 20-gauge.

Back