clearing after stabilizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex027

Reaction score
I have a cider that I just finished up. I let it clear for about two months. It looks, tastes, and smells nice. I went to stabilize it to backsweeten a little by racking onto crushed camden tablets and pottasium sorbate. A few days later I still see some floating pieces of white 'stuff'. I tried to shake it up a little to try and break it up and dissolve it, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Are you suggesting that i should have cold crashed it versus stabalizing it with chemicals? If so I already did it and can't turn back now. Also, it is a six gallon batch, it may be tough to get it into a refrigerator.

Is there anything I can use to get the particles of floating "stuff" to drop out, and then rack it into a new bottle, or should I plan on trying to filter it out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, if you can still cold-crash it, that may help the junk to drop out. Otherwise, I sometimes tie some cheesecloth onto the end on my auto-siphon to keep chunks out, it works pretty well.

Back