Beer Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
I was in NYC over the holidays and was able to buy some beers that I could not get up here: Magic Hat 9, deadguy ale and sam adams boston lager.

I was disappointed in the magic hat and boston lager - the hops didnt agree with me. I could barley drink the magic hat. I managed a few boston lagers but could imagine ever buying it again.

I liked the dead guy ale, but dont think I would ever brew it just because it seems to me like a one/two beers-at-a-time-brew.

I also had a Alt beer up here - and didnt like it either.

Maybe I was too focused on pilsners over the last 6 months. Based on this, I don't ever think I could become any sort of beer judge as my personal tastes would interfere with being objective. Then again SWMBO would like the idea much anyway.

Cheers

To be honest, axegod, the problem was not the beer. The problem was that you were on New York City. FOCUS here - don't think I'm throwing a curveball to ya. You drank some very good beers. Above the bar beers. You drank them, however, in....a'heh....the armpit of the Northeast. They would have been much tastier had you partook in them in.....say.......Providence or Boston or Manch-veg or (even best) Portland. Those be some good beers. Don't let New York ruin that sh*t for you, man.

Says the obviously un-biased and subjective guy from Mass.

The Magic Hat 9 doesn't do much for me anymore (regardless of where it is drunk). I had a real hoppy red ale they have out, can't remember the name, that is pretty damn kick-ass, but #9, eh... OK, but probably the wrong time of year for it.

The Sammy, it's good, but it's also the default choice for a "decent" beer at a wedding or Christmas party or whatever, so it doesn't really jump out at me anymore. Good, not exceptional.

Dead Guy is friggin' awesome. There's a phenomenal restaurant in Williamstown that has Dead Guy, Rogue Imperial Porter, and Hop Devil all on tap. Damn good beer. I may dig up Lorena's clone for that sometime.

Let's face it - we could perfect an all-grain all-allstar Carmel Cream Ale and if one were to sample is in Manhattan it would taste like a rubber tired on a kia. This is not a prejudice, it is simply telling it how it is. The fact that I am from Massachusetts bears none on my opinion that NYC is an armpit. It simply is. Guilty as charged.

So what facts do you base your argument on? What evidence do you have that beer tastes like "rubber tired on a kia" in New York? You must be able to prove this if it is not a prejudice like you said.

hello 1st post hear . I had two good beers lastnight .Boddingtons pub ale and Paulaner Salvator Double Bock. Kicked my A55!

muzleldr said:
hello 1st post hear . I had two good beers lastnight .Boddingtons pub ale and Paulaner Salvator Double Bock. Kicked my A55!

Hey muzleldr, Welcome. Why not go to the Introductions heading and tell us who y'are! :mug:

the_bird said:
The Magic Hat 9 doesn't do much for me anymore (regardless of where it is drunk). I had a real hoppy red ale they have out, can't remember the name, that is pretty damn kick-ass, but #9, eh... OK, but probably the wrong time of year for it.

The Sammy, it's good, but it's also the default choice for a "decent" beer at a wedding or Christmas party or whatever, so it doesn't really jump out at me anymore. Good, not exceptional.

Dead Guy is friggin' awesome. There's a phenomenal restaurant in Williamstown that has Dead Guy, Rogue Imperial Porter, and Hop Devil all on tap. Damn good beer. I may dig up Lorena's clone for that sometime.

Tell me the name and give me directions. Might have to go there next Saturday night after looking for a place to live.

Fiery Sword said:
Let's face it - we could perfect an all-grain all-allstar Carmel Cream Ale and if one were to sample is in Manhattan it would taste like a rubber tired on a kia. This is not a prejudice, it is simply telling it how it is. The fact that I am from Massachusetts bears none on my opinion that NYC is an armpit. It simply is. Guilty as charged.

OK terrific.

Fiery Sword said:
To be honest, axegod, the problem was not the beer. The problem was that you were on New York City. FOCUS here - don't think I'm throwing a curveball to ya. You drank some very good beers. Above the bar beers. You drank them, however, in....a'heh....the armpit of the Northeast. They would have been much tastier had you partook in them in.....say.......Providence or Boston or Manch-veg or (even best) Portland. Those be some good beers. Don't let New York ruin that sh*t for you, man.

Hmm I understand completely. I've never been to NYC, but I can tell you that beer, and anything else for that matter, doesn't taste NEARLY as good when I go down to Chicago........:D

evanmars said:
Tell me the name and give me directions. Might have to go there next Saturday night after looking for a place to live.

Do you want to meet up for a pint? It's Mezze, in Williamstown, right on the corner of Water Street and Rt. 2. Go south on Rt. 7, go all the way around the rotary, and get on Rt. 2 East. The first street on the right is Spring Street, which itself is loaded with great restaurants. The next street on the right is Water Street, it's right on the corner.

It's a phenomenal restaurant, really world-class (probably not very baby-friendly, unfortunately - how old's your daughter?)

PM me if you want to meet up for a bite, the wife and I can fill you in a little on the community.

Hey! Maybe he just likes Pilsners. Some of my best, well not friends but people I talk to occasionally, like Pilsners. [ spell check says: Innersoles ]:p

I think the military stopped research on neutron bombs because they were afraid some un-named senator from Mass. might be tempted to use them on NYC.:ban:

Hey, I love new york, I just hate the Yankees!!

All the times I've been on lot (hanging in a parking lot waiting for the concert to start for you non-hippies)in NYC, the beer has tasted fantastic! and it wasn't the drugs, I swear!:drunk:

muzleldr said:

Yum, PSDB... :rockin:

Pardon me I was salivating.

What were we talking about? :D

Ize

Ya magic hat reminded me of eating a bunch of licorice, and then eating a mint after eating sardines. I am glad I tried it - but would stay away from that one. The good news is my pilsner is coming into form. Dead guy was good..but reminded me of something a new brewer would make as an experiment. I must say that the barking /or scratching dog or flying dog (?) summer beer was great whilst in Georgia last July. I would make a clone of that one for sure. Yhe IPA from the same micro was good...but nothing better than what a new brewer could make. I would recommend the IPA as something a new brewer could shoot for on the first time out.

Back