Refractometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicts

Reaction score
I am talking to a guy on craigslist about a refractometer, and I am not sure if it will serve my functions.
He says it is an old model from a science lab that isn't handheld. He describes the reading capablilites as

"measures....sugar concentration and total solids in preserves; identify organic compounds and more over 1.30 to 1.90 N-range or 0 to 85% sucrose range "

This would be my first refractometer and I'm not 100% sure what I am looking at, however I have done a little research and have a few questions:

1. Wtf is a N-range?

I can't find anything on any refractometer listing about it. Is that a way to measure the organic compounds he is talking about? I asked him to clarify, and he said that is what the part of the manual he has left says. I was thinking maybe he meant specific gravity and mistyped 1.03-1.9 but he didn't.

2. Would this fit my needs seeing as it saying it reads ranges of 0-85% sucrose and can take liquids. He stated he thought the original use had something to do with jam or jelly :confused:

I can't imagine this not working, but I figured I should run it by some people who know what they are talking about first!

How far is he from you? If he has the manual, I say take a look at it before paying him. I'd also make a sugar solution, measure it with a hydrometer before heading over to him and test the sample.

I'd be careful or at least know exactly what lab this is coming from. We use these machines when we do large scale sucrose purification of viruses and I would never dream of bringing that into my house.

Interesting points. Thanks guys. I'll try to get a little more info!

Latest posts

Back