How close to plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimFowler

Reaction score
If you were trying 2 or 3 different varieties of hops, how close can they be planted to each other and still avoid "cross pollinating" each other? Or is that even a risk?

Not a risk as all rhizomes are from female plants. However, 5-6 feet is a good idea. Hop plants get large and bushy at the top.

I've heard runners (roots) will travel up to 10ft laterally. But I've got 3 different varieties spaced at 5 feet apart. Rhizomes have popped up 6 feet away from my crowns, but if you dress the crowns annually you should be ok.

I've heard runners (roots) will travel up to 10ft laterally. But I've got 3 different varieties spaced at 5 feet apart. Rhizomes have popped up 6 feet away from my crowns, but if you dress the crowns annually you should be ok.

What is meant by dressing the crowns?

hmm i may be in trouble. I have plans setup to plant 4 rhizomes (first time planting hops) about 12 inches apart. I would be growing them horizontally. Is this too close?

We plant 3 feet apart. Farther apart is probably better, but you could get closer if they are the same variety. If they are different varieties, its not "cross pollinating" that you are worried about like David said. Rather you are worried that the bines are going to intertwine and you won't know what variety you are harvesting.

And trust me, saying, "Oh, I'll be out there everyday separating them." won't work. During the height of growing season if you miss just a day of untangling them, you will have your work cut out. They will jump to the other plant and start twisting around each other in no time.

From the rhizome standpoint, put a barrier in the ground to keep the rhizome from shooting out. I've heard of people using plastic barrels without the bottom, metal street signs, boards, etc.

hmm guess ill have to alter my plan then. I didnt think about them jumping from vine to vine. I planned on planting between my potatoes and strawberries, but didnt leave much space. im planting 2 cascade, 1 centennial, and 1 chinook. Ill find about 10 foot of space to put them in.

nootay - hop sidearms can run 12" to 4' and they are very grabby. I have a long pruner I use to keep them from invading each others space.

What is meant by dressing the crowns?

typically you till the topsoil (2") by hand, and this will do a few things, expose the shoots (roots) that have the rhizomes - it's good to remove them so your plants are not popping up all over, and tilling will also help get oxygen and surface nutrients into the soil.

I actually don't till the few mounds I have, I pull out the hose and use the water to expose the root system (just the top roots) so I can harvest the rhizomes... then when I'm all done, I amend the wash soil (dirt I sprayed away) with cow poo, sand, and a little compost and re apply it to the mounds... then I re mulch the mounds.

Great info - thanks ...... a lot more to this than just sticking them in the dirt and hoping for the best.

Back