Almost ready to bottle my first Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
The mead is ready its just a simple 14lb honey and water recipe that has fermented out to about 1.00 and its been fermenting since April and it is pretty smooth. So now I guess I am supposed to add the Potasium Sorbate to slow down the yeast. I want to add a bit more honey to give it a sweeter flavor so I know I have to do something to the yeast. But I'm wondering why don't people just put it on a stove top and bring it to 150 for a few minutes? It seems like it would kill the yeast without removing the alcohol but I'm new to this so just curious.

don't add pot sorb until it has STOPPED fermenting....gravity readings are the only way to tell.

I would add honey, then wait for 3 or 4 weeks just to ensure not reinvigorating the fermentation....then bottle, but don't be afraid to give it time in the carboy.

DONT HEAT THAT MEAD!

don't add pot sorb until it has STOPPED fermenting....gravity readings are the only way to tell.

I would add honey, then wait for 3 or 4 weeks just to ensure not reinvigorating the fermentation....then bottle, but don't be afraid to give it time in the carboy.

DONT HEAT THAT MEAD!

Ive never tried to heat it.... but Ive thought about it.. why is it bad? just trying to learn :)

Ive never tried to heat it.... but Ive thought about it.. why is it bad? just trying to learn :)

Heat isn't good for flavor, for one thing. It destroys the delicate tones and nuances of the honey and mead.

Another problem with heating up the mead is how would you do it without oxidizing it? If you do it in the bottle, it could explode. If you do it "open", you'll aerate/oxidize and ruin it.

Mead takes time. When it's finished, then sorbate and campden can be added to stabilize it. About a week later, it can be sweetened. A few days later, if fermentation hasn't restarted, it can be bottled.

Back