International Brewing Laws (China)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleopener

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've been trying to dig up international home-brewing laws for quite a while, but my efforts thus far have failed. To that end, does anyone know the legality of home brewing in China? Specifically Qingdao (Tsingtao) in the Shangdong province? I'm going to be spending the next year or so there, and would love any information on the topic... a year without brewing could be brutal.

Toodles,
-bottleopener.

Greetings,

I've been trying to dig up international home-brewing laws for quite a while, but my efforts thus far have failed. To that end, does anyone know the legality of home brewing in China? Specifically Qingdao (Tsingtao) in the Shangdong province? I'm going to be spending the next year or so there, and would love any information on the topic... a year without brewing could be brutal.

Toodles,
-bottleopener.

My .02: I seriously doubt that homebrewing has ever been addressed by any international legal organization. I would make very sure that the Chinese government looks kindly or at least benignly on homebrewing especially by a visiting non-citizen. China has certainly opened up over the last few decades but the last time I looked it was still run by a one-party authoritarian state. :mug:

We've had a couple brewers from China on here but I don't know their location and they never mentioned laws. The only thing I remember them talking about is how hard it is to get ingredients. :(

Thanks for the replies,

It's encouraging to know that there are at least some homebrewers over there. Ed, your post gets to the heart of my inquiry. The last thing I want to do is get arrested in China, so I want to cover all my bases.

Cheers,
-bottleopener

Back