Identifying Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chenwood

Reaction score
I got several ounces of pelletized hops. But I don't know what strain or AAU they are. I suppose I'll take them to the LHBS to see if they can identify them. Is there anything I can do to determine the AAU? Should I just make a tea with them and try to guess how much I should use in a batch?

Any insight would be appreciated.

You can mail them to Hops Direct and they can analyze them for a fee. Totally not worth it though.

Pretty sure you are SOL. Unless you know the variety, you could take a guess on the range. I don't think a LHBS could even help, unless someone there had a very refined nose that could identify the variety.

It's time to write a recipe called The Unrepeatables.

I would go for something mid gravity 1.058 - 1.064

Mash lowish 152 - 154

Use some 40L, and maybe some wheat malt or rye malt.

Sounds yummy.

Ferment with 1056

haha I kinda figured I was screwed. O well time for a fun batch. Cheers

Yeah I think it is pretty difficult. I wish I had a better nose, taste for different hops. I feel I just go off of descriptions in a catalog more than me knowing the difference b/w them. Is there a good Hop book to read about how to acquire a taste for different hops as far as identifying what it is....?

Use a small amount to make a hop tea and see what they smell and taste like. Pellet hops are hard to identify until they get a little wet and warm up.

From there you can try to see what malt bill they'd work best with. Then create a middle of the road hopping schedule an see if you get a bitter ass beer or a malty one. I'd shoot for something in the amber range- if it's hoppy, great. If its not, then the beer has enough malt character to enjoy.

Back