Kamado cookers thread (green egg, kamado joe, primo etc)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sup fellas - show off your ceramic cooker plunder here

Here's a NY strip I cooked black & pink tonight

image.jpg

Lollipop style, bacon wrapped then sauced

I literally drove to the store, bought drum sticks have them prepped for tonight haha. SWMBO already loves drummies so I'm excited to see what she thinks of them. Prep work on them isn't too bad but it would be a pain to cook for a big group.

I want an egg, just haven't' gotten around to justify the price of admission!

I would take a look at the steel keg as well. It has some really cool features:
http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/keg/landing.html

Love my BGE. I've cooked everything from pulled pork to steaks to bread and cookies on it. It makes a mean pizza and even meaner wings. Can't recommend it enough!

Closest I have is a cast iron kamado-style cooker my dad used a lot when I was a kid. When I rescued it, it looked like this:

IMG_1733.jpg

When I finished restoring it, it now looks like this:

IMG_1786.jpg

I stripped it down, painted it, made new grates, and turned new oak handles and a base for it.

IMG_1797.jpg

The first meal I smoked on it was a pork loin -- just like dad used to make. He really enjoyed seeing the cooker back in service and the meal!

IMG_1803.jpg

Would love to have a BGE some day, though. Tough to justify the expense...

Closest I have is a cast iron kamado-style cooker my dad used a lot when I was a kid. When I rescued it, it looked like this:

IMG_1733.jpg

When I finished restoring it, it now looks like this:

IMG_1786.jpg

I stripped it down, painted it, made new grates, and turned new oak handles and a base for it.

IMG_1797.jpg

The first meal I smoked on it was a pork loin -- just like dad used to make. He really enjoyed seeing the cooker back in service and the meal!

IMG_1803.jpg

Would love to have a BGE some day, though. Tough to justify the expense...

That's really cool, nice job bringing it back to life, good thing you did or i would have snuck in your backyard and "borrowed" it;)

Well done, that's a cool project.

Having recently purchased the BGE...I couldn't be happier. With the amount of use it gets, and the usable life of ceramic vs metal(even stainless) it will amortize itself early in it's life.

There is a learning curve, as it's certainly a different animal than most grills, but the quality of the meat that comes off is impressive once you get past it.

The low and slow was really easy to get down. The high heat is what has caused me the most problems. It's quite incredible how juicy most everything comes off the egg.

I liked the skin on with sauce better than the bacon wrapped - those were really good. I think saucing the bacon wrapped would have been a good idea. Bacon cooked up nicely though, not soggy at all.

King Griller I picked up for $250. Long term durability remains to be seen, but has worked great for the last two years. I can easily smoke a pork shoulder for 14 hours overnight and still have coals left for roasting peppers or whatever else right before dinner.

smugshot_5894434-M.jpg

Well done, that's a cool project.

Having recently purchased the BGE...I couldn't be happier. With the amount of use it gets, and the usable life of ceramic vs metal(even stainless) it will amortize itself early in it's life.

There is a learning curve, as it's certainly a different animal than most grills/smokers/BBQ's, but the quality of the meat that comes off is impressive once you get past it.

The low and slow was really easy to get down. The high heat is what has caused me the most problems. It's quite incredible how juicy most everything comes off the egg.

Thanks!

My buddy has a BGE, and says that he can go from low and slow to a blistering 700F in minutes, but it apparently does not work nearly as well in reverse. Definitely a learning curve there. I'm amazed at how efficient my little cast iron kamado is.

Anyone get monster chunks like this in their bags of lump? What a pain

30l1k4k.jpg

Sure that isn't a charred stump from a forest fire? :)

Re-did the gasket on my BGE and then moved a week later so I haven't lit it up in a while; but, will have to press it into service this week. Brisket sounds tasty if I can find one.

I think my next grill is going to be a black olive. It is a combination of kamado grill and pellet grill. About the same price as one of the higher end pellet grills.

I have a Kamado Joe. I love it. My previous smoker was a UDS I built. It worked just fine, but I wanted something nicer that I could use in the inter as well. Thea heat got sapped from the UDS really quickly in MN winters. Funny how -20 will make your smoker cold. It will probably do the same to the Kamado, hopefully not as extreme.

I love making pork butts in it. Pulled pork is my favorite bbq. Steaks are easy to make on it to. Simple to get them to the proper doneness as well.

Thanksgiving is going on there tomorrow. Smoked turkey breast. mmmmmmmm

Since I am already committed to a turkey dinner tomorrow I am smoking one on friday/sat. I just had a thought though. Has anyone tried smoking the dressing (stuffing)?

So it makes a smoke sponge meaning it will taste like charcoal, gotcha. Ok. Bad idea then. Maybe I should consider pouring some drippings in with it cooked from the oven then. Or make gravy with the smokey drippings and just dollop a little on there. Thanks.

Iv'e used the drippings for gravy, so works for me. The carcass makes great stock also.
I don't think I'll be smoking tomorrow, I don't have an egg and with the weather forecast cold and windy I'll lose to much heat to try a 24 lb bird.

Here's my 1966 Sazco Kamado. Almost 50yrs old and still smoking! I've had to repair it a few time over the past few years. The guys at Kamado Joe were gracious enough to help me find some odd peices that happened to fit and sold them to me at cost! I'll buy one of those for sure if this thing ever kicks the bucket.

image-3720553060.jpg

Well everyone at the station liked the turkey. Personally I thought it was drier than I wanted it to be. However I started at 350 for few hours and backed down to 250 when it started to char too much. Next time I will start and stay at 250 and wrap it sooner of needed.
Still not bad for first attempt.

My turkey turned out fantastic!

I also threw on a slab of salmon I brined and then drizzled with maple syrup and brown sugar. I'm not a salmon fan, but that turned out amazing.
More salmon is in my future

20lbs pork butt.
One dry spicy rub, one wet and sweet.
Dry rub wasn't as spicy as expected but still really good.

Wet was sweet baby rays mixed with brown sugar, honey, and a dash of apple vinegar.

Smoked for 7hrs, wrapped and then back on for another 4hrs.
Turned out great.

image-3665502965.jpg

Latest posts

Back