McMaster Carr help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Ugh, that site is huge! I'm trying to find the part on the left, only in female so it will thread into the quick disconnect on the right. The only one I found is only rated for 150f. I'm trying to copy Saccharomyces re-circ setup and need to copy the lid setup (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/i-love-no-sparge-brewing-140972/#post1601449) second and third pic down. I want the quick disconnect on the top, who can find me a barbed thing-a-mabob (1/2"tubing) for the underneath????

DSCN2178.jpg

Either use a coupling (pg 4 for stainless or pg 21 for brass), or use a female NPT barbed fitting (pg 264 for stainless or pg 262 for brass).

I have no idea why they say the brass fittings are only good to 160. They should be fine up to boiling temps.

You're better off going to Lowes for it. I know they have singles and it would only be like $4 or $5. Don't pay any attention to the heat limit for a brass fitting. It's not going to melt.

The temperature rating for these fittings and lots of other stuff like the tubing and pumps we typically use is the operational limit when subjected to the upper pressure limit. We never come close to the maximum pressure limits which could be something like 200 psi. There is also a large safety factor built in to those limits.

That gives me part # 5346K57 which is only good to 160f, and their only sold in packs of five.:(

Yeah, that's really weird that it lists 160F as the temp limit. Just goes to show that manufacturer's "operating temperature" ranges are a guideline, at best.

Also weird that they only sell them in packs of 5. Not typical of McMaster to do that with fittings.

I agree that you can probably find it locally. Lowe's, HD or a plumbing supply house.

I agree, the temperature ratings are for high pressure. Even under high pressure these fitting are more likely to experience heat induced expansion that will cause leaks, not a break (although a leak is just as bad in this case). I work in a lab where we use smaller diameter brass fittings with boiling water in a closed system and never came close to a problem.
Also, selling in sets of five or more is typical of McMaster with certain parts (Cole Parmer too). They do carry just about any size fitting you need if you are willing to pay for it.

If you go brass, don't forget to etch for lead:

Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

(From Palmer's "How To Brew")

Back