New MP3 Player

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a new MP3 Player in the ear future. I currently have a 30GB Ipod classic which is great, but the battery is starting to go and I want to upgrade to something with more capacity. I have previously owned a Creative Zen Touch and and some Rio player, but that was 5+ years ago, so my recent experience is only with Ipods. I will be moving in the near future to a land with limited to no computer access and/or electricity, so something fairly independent after uploading music and long battery life are priorities.

Some things I am looking for:
*100GB minimum
*Long battery life
*video capabilities (not required)
*Easy to create playlists on the machine (don't need computer)
*iTunes compatability is a plus but not required
*Durable - can withstand some moderate falls (with case if necessary), dust, wide temp range (my Ipod sucks when it gets cold)
*$250 or cheaper (the going rate of a new 120GB Ipod)

So what do you guys have and would you recommend them?

If you're happy with the ipod as it is you might as well just opt for the new 120 gb ipod classics. Otherwise at that capacity you're probably only really left with a Zune or Archos. I'm not a fan of the Zune and never used an Archos.

A 120GB ipod can be had for just over $200 these days.

ipod classic

120 gig, long battery life, video capailities, easy to create playlists (their "genius" playlist generator is pretty awesome), iTunes compatible. . .

;)

really though, I don't know why anyone would get anything other than an iPod for an mp3 player.

If you're happy with the ipod as it is you might as well just opt for the new 120 gb ipod classics. Otherwise at that capacity you're probably only really left with a Zune or Archos. I'm not a fan of the Zune and never used an Archos.

DAMNIT! beat me to it.

Yeah I have both an ipod touch and an old ass second generation classic that both see daily use. The classic has taken a beating over the years and looks like it's been through a war, but it keeps on chugging.

I love my iPod touch. it doesn't get a whole lot of use because my car stereo doesn't have an mp3 connection but the games you can get for it are really fun and I use it as a remote for my itunes library on my laptop.

I'll probably end up getting another Ipod, just wanted to check out what else is available, though. The only problems I have with my current one are the dying battery (but will happen with anything), the cold problem, and editing playlists on the go is a pain (but I can live with that).

Back