Draconian Libations': The Stroke of Midnight (Black IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I crushed the carafa seperate and added it with about 5 mins left in the mash through the sparge...it left it the perfect color an not super roasty harshness

You could also cold steep it for 2 day prior to brewing...also eliminates harshness

I would also save the Carafa III until time to vorlauf. Mash all of your other grains for 60 mins, open your mash run and mix in the Carafa, vorlauf, and then sparge.

I'm going to be brewing this recipe in a couple of weeks. Is this a 75 minute mash or a 60 minute mash with 15 minutes of vorlauf with the Carafa III? What temp should I ferment at? 65F-68F? Thanks for sharing this recipe! Much appreciated.

Glad to see this recipe is still circulating as its one of my best. If you can do 65 that would be ideal but 68 will work out fine.

I made a recipe similar to this recently. You actually have about 2 more ozs in the flameout/dry hop additions than mine. It looks awesome! May do this in the late fall.

Digging up and OLD recipe that I made and loved and making this with a twist. (Heck this is so old that I couldn't even login to HBT with the old login from back then!) I'm taking this recipe, tweaking the grain bill with some flaked oats and hops, and making it in with a "New England" flavor. In adding some flaked oats and flaked barley, moving the hop charges to whirlpool and primary fermentation, I'm hoping to make this a creamier beer with New England hop character. I have yet to see a "New England Style Black IPA" made so let's see what happens!

I have been interested to try the same thing. Maybe use midnight wheat for color. I also thought to cold steep carafa 3 or 2 to avoid extra astringency and roast flavors. I just made 3 NEIPAs over summer and needed a break before trying this. Curious what you have planned.

IMG_0578.JPG

Here’s my original thought...

I am curious how much color gets extracted at vorlauf for the carafa. I personally never tried so I am not questioning it, really curious to hear back on your results. Glad you aren't mashing the whole time to avoid the roast flavor that will destroy this style imo.

I personally would drop the 60 minute addition or drop it to 0.25 oz. Focus on the Whirlpool additions flameout and 170F. Also how long does it take to cool to 170F? I started to play with this time frame... Like a slow cool - 15mins.

When I made that original recipe back in the day the shipment came and the bag of Carafa was torn open and I could only use .75 lbs. That beer was still quite dark.

I’m the kind of weirdo that stills prefers an underlying bitterness in New England IPA. That where the 60 charge came from. I agree it could be cool to do only late hops in this experiment.

Back