Celebration Ale - 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
Its that time of year again! Picked up 2X12's today...

Don't know if its been brought up on the forum yet, pardon me if this is a repost, but it is my FAVORITE beer (a very bold statement, I'm sure you can all agree)

I'm not sure how long others have had it but I was at the beer store last Sunday and it was not in. Enjoying my first one as I type **slurp** and contemplating ordering a commercial keg of it before it is too late.

Prost! :mug:

2010_Beer_Celebration.jpg

I am brewing a clone of it tomorrow....

11.5 lbs pale 2 row
1 lbs crystal 35L (im using carastan)
.5 lbs carapils

1oz chinook 11%aa @ 60 mins
1.7oz cascade 5%aa @ 30 mins
dry hop with
.66oz cascade 5 days
.66oz centenial 5 days
wyeast 1056 or WLP001

Mash at 156 for 60 minutes
90 minute boil
ferment at 66F
Dry hop at 60F for 5 days.

extract replace 2-row with 5.5lbs dried malt extract and 1.5lbs 2-row malt. steep crushed graings in 120 fl oz. of water @ 156 for 45 minutes follow remaining all grain recipe.

Clone Modified from a recipe printed in October issue of BYO 2000

-=Jason=-

Saw 12ers of it today myself.

I had other beers in mind, but I'm defintely going to be heading back next weekend to get at LEAST 1.

I am brewing a clone of it tomorrow....

11.5 lbs pale 2 row
1 lbs crystal 35L (im using carastan)
.5 lbs carapils

1oz chinook 11%aa @ 60 mins
1.7oz cascade 5%aa @ 30 mins
dry hop with
.66oz cascade 5 days
.66oz centenial 5 days
wyeast 1056 or WLP001

Mash at 156 for 60 minutes
90 minute boil
ferment at 66F
Dry hop at 60F for 5 days.

extract replace 2-row with 5.5lbs dried malt extract and 1.5lbs 2-row malt. steep crushed graings in 120 fl oz. of water @ 156 for 45 minutes follow remaining all grain recipe.

Clone Modified from a recipe printed in October issue of BYO 2000

-=Jason=-

Yeah, I have a beer tools recipe bookmarked that has a 5/5 rating... I have an extract batch recipe somewhere but I'm not sure where, been out of the game for a little while

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=6930

Saw 12ers of it today myself.

I had other beers in mind, but I'm defintely going to be heading back next weekend to get at LEAST 1.

Dooo it, I gotta get a price on kegs...

Cool. I started a new thread a week or so ago asking if anyone's seen it yet, and it got no replies.

My brother lives in Vermont and he's bringing me 24 of them tomorrow. Always looking forward to this beer this time of year!:mug:

me too
those recipes don't look like they'd hit it though....
I always pick up a few cases each season. What bjcp cat is this beer is yer guyzez opinion?

They didn't have it at my local beer store a few days ago. I've been wanting to try it.
Is their Tumbler Brown Ale good? They still have that.

They didn't have it at my local beer store a few days ago. I've been wanting to try it.
Is their Tumbler Brown Ale good? They still have that.
Tumbler's great, but I'm always happy to see Celebration hit the shelves. Need to go buy some more of that.

fresh hops are not wet hops, on the southern hemis is says fresh hops that are dried and immediatedly used unlike northern hemis which is wet because the hops are never dried..

Picked up a case of the Celebration Ale yesterday. Enjoyed it today after my bike race (second one of the weekend). I earned me damned beers this weekend. lol

My LHBS had a tasting the other night and we had celebration ale from 03-10. Was neat tasting them all in a row. They do age very well. Can't wait to get the 11

Sam's Club had 12 packs for $12 and change, so I picked one up. I really love this beer and look forward to it when it comes out each year.

Bought a sixer tonight. It's better than i remembered it being last year. Good stuff!

Sam's Club had 12 packs for $12 and change, so I picked one up. I really love this beer and look forward to it when it comes out each year.

$12?! I would stock up on so many 12's. Guess that is a benefit of living in the same state as the brewery.

$12?! I would stock up on so many 12's. Guess that is a benefit of living in the same state as the brewery.

I picked up 12 for $16 plus tax on Saturday and I was happy to pay that. For 12 bucks I might have bought out the store. I can't get enough of this stuff, I place it second only to Nugget Nectar which you can easily pay $12 for a 6 pack.

I look forward to its release every year as well, and have already picked up a case of it ($34 if I can remember) a couple days ago.

Although it is still really good, I am having a hard time getting past that soapy hoppiness. I am picking those tones up more this year than I remember in the past (maybe it’s my palette changing). Does anyone know where that is coming from? I’m thinking the Centennial but not sure.

I have a 12 pack from last year’s release so I am planning to try side by side with this years, I put a couple in the fridge last night.

Oh, and I am positive it is not my glass cleaning process, I tried a few different hand washed glasses and even one that was only rinsed with scalding water and got the same taste on all of them.

Fantastic brew. I've never really gotten into it before, so I'm glad I finally did. It really is the quintessential IPA to me.

Although it is still really good, I am having a hard time getting past that soapy hoppiness. I am picking those tones up more this year than I remember in the past (maybe it’s my palette changing). Does anyone know where that is coming from? I’m thinking the Centennial but not sure.

Strange, I don't perceive the soapiness at all; not in Celebration at least. It's overwhelming in their pale ale though. However, it's still good, but that quality does throw me off.

I'm not getting any soapiness either. Bought my 6th 12 pack the other night- intend to have some to do a vertical next year. Haven't been able to keep my hand off to this point.

I had 3 bottles last night and two tonight (just to make sure before I posted), and I must say I find the brew very underwhelming from a hop standpoint this year. Faint pine/citrus aroma and flavor and just a general lack of "focus" for lack of a better term. Nothing really stands out. In years past I remember thinking "WHOA, that is a hoppy, rich, big IPA".....it is rich and malty this year with plenty of ABV and body, but where are my HOPS!!! I will give another 12 pack a try and then move on to something else......

permo said:
I had 3 bottles last night and two tonight (just to make sure before I posted), and I must say I find the brew very underwhelming from a hop standpoint this year. Faint pine/citrus aroma and flavor and just a general lack of "focus" for lack of a better term. Nothing really stands out. In years past I remember thinking "WHOA, that is a hoppy, rich, big IPA".....it is rich and malty this year with plenty of ABV and body, but where are my HOPS!!! I will give another 12 pack a try and then move on to something else......

I second that

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew Talk

My local grocery has been selling it for $13 a 12 pack. I've been downing a bit much of it lately. This needs to be a regular brew and not a seasonal. I'm a bit surprised they made the Torpedo a regular brew and held the Celebration as seasonal.

• 13 lbs. - Marris Otter
  • 1 lbs. - British Dark Crystal 80L
  • 0.75 lbs - CaraPils
  • 1oz Chinook (60 mins)
  • 1oz Centennial (15 mins)
  • 1oz Cascade (15 mins)
  • 1oz Centennial (DryHop)
  • 1oz Cascade (DryHop)

I like to age this one a while, like a lager. The hops will mellow and the malt really comes through nicely.
:ban:

My wife and I love it and this years is just as good as lasts. Albeit you can only have so many as it sure packs the buzz punches!:drunk:

My wife, knowing that I enjoy sierra nevada, surprised me with a case of this for thanksgivings. She said she knew I was gonna need it to get through the day with her folks.

I really enjoyed it to say the least.

Tumbler was good too.

I have some in my fridge downstairs... After reading this I'm going to go grab one!

my wife, knowing that i enjoy sierra nevada, surprised me with a case of this for thanksgivings. She said she knew i was gonna need it to get through the day with her folks.

I really enjoyed it to say the least.

Tumbler was good too.

lmfao!!

I really don't understand this beer. Overly bitter, flabby body with not enough hop flavor. I get bits of pepper, and it honestly just tastes like a mess. I really want to like this beer, I just can't get around how bad it tastes.

Where did you buy it? Sounds like they stored it warm which is bad. Also, check the date. It could be last years and stored warm it could be even worse!

I really don't understand this beer. Overly bitter, flabby body with not enough hop flavor. I get bits of pepper, and it honestly just tastes like a mess. I really want to like this beer, I just can't get around how bad it tastes.

Thats why I think alot of people prefer to lay these down in their cellar for a year or so. It really helps meld all those flavors together.

I just picked up my first 12. Mine is plenty hoppy, though it is weighted more toward bittering than flavor. Still has a nice tang though. I don't know if I like it as much as Hop Head - have to try a couple more after work, maybe do a head to head.

Back