Weird Odor coming from primary(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplenine

Reaction score
So I brewed 3 days ago. Two batches, first time using lager yeast (White Labs American and Octoberfest. I set them up at room temp to get them started and then moved them to the cool garage last night. What I noticed is that there is a strange "lemony" odor coming from the airlocks on the primary fermenters. It seems to be coming from both of them. I have never noticed a strong odor coming from my ales that I have made. Any ideas or is it money down the drain? I sanitize with StarSan 1oz to 5 gal, as stated on the bottle.

certain hop varieties have a citrusy (lemons, grapefruit) aroma. perhaps this is what you are smelling?

what hops did you use in these beers?

-walker

I used Tett., Saaz, and Northern B. in one and Cluster and Cascade in the other.

When I did my first lager I thought I had an infection because of the nasty smells coming out of the primary, but they turned out okay. Lagers are a totally different beast and will try your patience. Hang in there, it's probably just the hops at this point. Wait until it smells like hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs)!

Yeah. Ale smells okay. Lager doesn't, not right off the bat, anyhow. It smells like.... victory...

Back