Recipe Critique - Blonde Ale - football beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I would like to make a beer to put away and cold age for a nice drinkable, smooth treat for the masses during football season which is around three months away. Since Oberon just came out I have a nice strong batch of cultured bells yeast ready to go. This beer will also serve as my bells yeast nursery for harvesting. 16.5 gallon batch

22 pounds pale
3 pounds munich
1 pound biscuit
1/2 pound C40
1 oz willamette @60
1 oz tettnanger @60
1 oz crystal @60

1 oz willamette @10
1 oz tettnanger @10
1 oz crystal @10

IBU roughly 20
OG = roughly 1.045
Mash at 152
Bells yeast fermented @70 ish to encourage mild fruit esthers
Keg it up and age it cool for three months

Any thoughts about improvements or changes I could make to this will be appreciated! THX

Seems like a reasonable blonde ale, should be poundable; im really liking crystal as a hop in mild pale ales/etc. My main concern is the beer is likely to peak before 3 months, but if you minimize oxidation and keep it cold, in the real world it should be fine.

One thought for me was to maybe add some honey to the boil to soften things up a bit and lighten the ale....

At 1.045 it is going to be light as it is. If you want it milder drop the biscuit and lower the mash temp. Some people really like honey in light ales/lagers, but I find it leaves a weird honey aftertaste that gets fairly tedious, when there isnt much else to hide it, if you are going for mass appeal, 10% corn is an option too.

At 1.045 it is going to be light as it is. If you want it milder drop the biscuit and lower the mash temp. Some people really like honey in light ales/lagers, but I find it leaves a weird honey aftertaste that gets fairly tedious, when there isnt much else to hide it, if you are going for mass appeal, 10% corn is an option too.

I think I will leave the grain bill as is then...it looks fairly well rounded and it makes me thirsty just thinking about the final product!

Back