Simple Weizen advise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hello All,

Next up for brewing is a simple weizen. Perfect for the warm spring and summer days ahead! I am planning to go with Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, as I have had good luck with everything I have done from that book.

Here's the simple recipe as written in the book:
50% wheat malt
50% Pils

Mash 152 (60 min). Boil 90 min

60 min hops: Hallertau .8 oz. 13 IBU

WLP300 or Wyeast 3068.

I am making the following two ingredient changes, as its what I have on hand:

Mt. Hood hops instead of the Hallertau
WLP 380 Hefe IV yeast.

After reading through the recipes on HBT (especially Ed's) a couple questions came to mind.

Is a 90 min mash necessary for conversion, or will a 60 min suffice?

Also, Is it worth bumping up the boil to 90 min to reduce DMS? Anybody have an issue with DMS with a 60 min boil? I never have, but then again, I don't usually use a large percentage of pils malt in my ales.

Is a step mash necessary for this one?? I have the capability to do so, but it sure is easier to just stay at one sacc. temp and then to mashout temp, if the benefits aren't gonna be that noticeable.

Oh, and rice hulls - seems like 1/2 Lb per 5 gallon batch is the standard around here. So - 2.5 Lbs for a 25 gal batch?

To a lesser degree: thoughts on Mt.Hoods and the WLP380 for this one?

Sorry 'bout the rambling....

Thanks all, and thanks Ed for all your good recipes!

:)
...and thanks to Spring for finally showing up around here!

After reading through the recipes on HBT (especially Ed's) a couple questions came to mind.

A 60 minute mash should be fine, but I would check for conversion. Conversion happens when it happens...it depends on a number of factors....time really can't tell.

Also, Is it worth bumping up the boil to 90 min to reduce DMS? Anybody have an issue with DMS with a 60 min boil? I never have, but then again, I don't usually use a large percentage of pils malt in my ales.

A 90 minute boil would be beneficial. I always do a vigorous and/or long boil when using large amounts of pilsner. You'll be able to smell it coming off of the boil if you want an idea of what it will add.

Is a step mash necessary for this one?? I have the capability to do so, but it sure is easier to just stay at one sacc. temp and then to mashout temp, if the benefits aren't gonna be that noticeable.

No step mash is necessary. Your method will work great.

Oh, and rice hulls - seems like 1/2 Lb per 5 gallon batch is the standard around here. So - 2.5 Lbs for a 25 gal batch?

2 lbs should be more than enough. I haven't used any rice hulls in my last few batches of wheat (18 and 12 gallon batches) and I haven't had any problems. I think rye and oats are more of a worry.

To a lesser degree: thoughts on Mt.Hoods and the WLP380 for this one?

That's a good change. Great hops and a great yeast for hefeweizen. It won't have as much banana with the WLP380...more of an "apricot" flavor. I use that in most of my dunkelweizens.

Thanks all, and thanks Ed for all your good recipes!

:)
...and thanks to Spring for finally showing up around here!

word to that!
:mug:

Mash 152 (60 min). Boil 90 min

[snip]

Also, Is it worth bumping up the boil to 90 min to reduce DMS?

I think you misread the recipe...

As I read it, that's calling for a 60 minute mash, followed by a 90 minute boil.

Yeah, the recipe as written does call for a 60 min mash - all of the recipes in Jamil's book are 60 min unless otherwise stated. I just noticed that a lot of the weizen recipes here - most prominently Ed's - call for a 90 min mash.

DeathBrewer - Thanks a lot for the advise. When searching around here I noticed you came up a lot in Weizen / Dunkelweizen threads with informed info. I was actually gonna seek you out for some Dunkel advise in the near future, as I plan on making a wiezen / then a dunkelwiezen back to back for my next two brews.

I think I am gonna prefer the 380 vs. the 300. My buddy always makes his wiezen with the 300 and sometimes it just seems like too much banana for my liking. Great beer though.

What about fermentation temps? Jamil claims 62 is the sweet spot for him. I was thinking around mid 60's.

Steady somewhere between 58-64°F = best fermentation for weizen, IMO. You'll get the full flavor without overpowering. Mid 60s would be fine.

That's probably another reason why your buddy's weizen has too much banana...is he fermenting at a relatively high temp?

I've never made a bad dunkelweizen (except for one bad-water batch...that doesnt count :D) so definitely hit me up when you want some advice. I think I'll make a dunkelweizen this week, actually :)

I'm no expert, but I brewed a wheat beer using pilsner malt and I got what I percieve as DMS smell , did a 60 min boil, next time I will boil for 90.

DZ - thanks for the advise - definitely going for the 90 min boil.

Yeah, deathbrewer, my buddy has fermented his at a higher temp (70+) - which probably did make for the major banana flavor. Not that it wasn't good - in fact it won 3rd place for a local homebrew contest last year! It's amazing how large an effect fermentation temps have on wheat beers. I usually use a single stage fermentation for 3-4 weeks for all ales. Sounds like a 60 min mash ought to be enough - I have never not had conversion in 60 mins.

I am thinking that a good heavy dunkelwiezen or even a wiezenbock would be great for autumn. So - I am planning on dumping that one onto the yeast cake of the wiezen. It will probably be sometime in May by the time that happens, as we usually brew about once a month.

Thanks again for the help - will let you know how things go in a couple weeks! Planning on brewing the wiezen first weekend in April. :mug:

I am thinking that a good heavy dunkelwiezen or even a wiezenbock would be great for autumn. So - I am planning on dumping that one onto the yeast cake of the wiezen. It will probably be sometime in May by the time that happens, as we usually brew about once a month.

That is a grand idea! Might have to do that myself. Maybe brew up a hefeweizen tomorrow night :)

Back