WTF is with this weather?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
No snow for the last two days, then a storm comes in. Started snowing a few hours ago and we have several more inches on top of the foot we already got. I just watched the news and there are 70 MPH winds ALL AROUND US!

But, I walked the dog and there's just enough of a breeze to blow the snow in your face here, but that's it. We're like... an island in the middle of it all. 70 freaking miles per hour! They're reporting blizzard conditions both to the West and to the East of us!

It's 20 degrees and falling and we only have electric heat. I hope we don't lose power. I really, really hate not having an alternative heat source. I grew up with a wood stove and I want one.

Enough already!

Weve been getting dumped on here in Tacoma. The wife and I are fine with it being the Upper Peninsula. However, the *****es around here are freaking out and every where I look there is a wreck. I suppose if they plowed and didnt let the snow compact and turn into ice at night that would help.

Anyhow, we have a nice size pile of firewood to get us through any power outage we might encounter. That and lots of booze. We are headed to the Seahawks game tomorrow to root for Favre... should be interesting watching how people try to deal with the weather. I am sure a number of people will lack the forsight to bundle up and come in jeans, a hoodie, and tennies.

Sound like crazy weather there. When I lived in Seattle, we never got snow before January. And then it would only snow about an inch on one day and that would be it for the year.

Oh ya, well it was 80F last Sunday, fell to 35F in 90 minutes, Monday and Tuesday it iced (it doesn't snow here) with a high in the upper 20s. Warmed up during the week, to 75F earlier today, and right now it is 29F. I have worn flip-flops and a thick winter coat this week.

We've had snow all goddamn day today, and now it's freezing rain. The windshield of the van has a beautiful crust of ice all over it. Much fun with the 8" of snow to boot.

I love how they've (media) been calling this "Artic Blast" and freaking out.

Mind you, I'm just far enough south that we've just caught the edge of the storm.

It's called Global warming, Better buy more carbon credits, there are pundits out there that need to make millions before their theory turns out to be a natural cycle.

It's called Global warming, Better buy more carbon credits, there are pundits out there that need to make millions before their theory turns out to be a natural cycle.

Second abnormally cold winter (and summer) in the midwest in a row now. A whopping 7 degrees right now. I can't remember the last time it was this cold in December.

Here in Des Moines the high is -4F the low is -13F. Wind is about 17 MPH. I think is about -8 now w/o wind chill.

That is fricken cold.

noremorse1 - Been to several Chicago Bears games where I see dumba$$es wearing leather jackets, jeans, tennis shoes, scarf, and knit gloves. This was on the 2nd to last game last year (against Green Bay). It was something like -15F with 30MPH winds. Talk about bitter cold. One of the dumba$$es only made it for 1.5 quarters before they left. The sad thing is this guy brought his two little kids underdressed and he probably made them suffer through the whole thing.

The funny thing was watching this old drunk fart looking for his seat. He was carrying his beer but you could see its frozen solid. It obviously froze as he held it to its side. The beer level had a slant if you held it upright. He tried taking drinks out of it even though it was frozen! :D

Al Gore and his weather machine is to blame.

On that note, here's a little food for thought.

BTW it's -8F here and I'm trying to muster the ambition to go snowblow my driveway............

We've had snow all goddamn day today, and now it's freezing rain. The windshield of the van has a beautiful crust of ice all over it. Much fun with the 8" of snow to boot.

Man i hope that clears up by Jan. 6th...I'm going to be back up there for bizniss. I guess as long as I can hit the rogue pub, I'll be fine :D!

Most of the wind avoided us, but we got another 6-8" of snow. Had some fun out in it today with SWMBO and the dog.

Spryte-&-KB.jpg

Dog-angels-1.jpg

spryte-&-kb-walking.jpg

We've been snowed in since Wednesday night. I had to leave work early on Wednesday, when we got a few inches of snow and our street turned into a hard-packed snow and ice road. Then it started snowing AGAIN last night. We got about 5 inches overnight, and it's snowing again. Corvettes + snow != good situation. We're going a little stir-crazy. It doesn't help that the HUGE hill that we live on is closed.

I had to go out and drive in it today..whew, its not pretty..It doesn't stop me from hoping that it snows MORE though. I love the snow.

Well, the snow's pretty...the road conditions are not!

Those goddamn underwriters better not flake out on me. They're supposed to rubberstamp my loan applications! I had to work tonight because some crapass couldn't be bothered to dig his car out of the driveway. Well guess what? I had to dig myself out of the snowplow hill with a bucket because of his asshattery!

Thread Hijack; TwoHeadsBrewing, glad we hit the Rogue brewpub. I met up with SWMBO at Henry's, and holy hell it was expensive! It's had the same black steel and plastic renovation Bridgeport has had too. But man, the hot waitresses there....

I hate it that they can't plow the roads here. I'm from Colorado and I'm trying to go there for Christmas. I think I'm going to have a hard time getting to the Airport. Hopefully I get out. ( kinda )

Second snowiest December on record here in SE Wisconsin. Looks like we are getting another 5 inches tonight on top of the 2 feet we already have...

Anymore of this global warming and I will freeze to death :D

I am getting ready to try and dig out, but first I need to dig a path to the fallen tree branches and then HOPE I can get up the hill. If not, I end up in Port Orchard Bay. Not fun.....

At the risk of starting a fire of hate and fury, I'll post my thanks that I moved from the northeast years ago to Phoenix.

I miss the white out the window, but I sure don't miss digging two cars out of a snowplow's wake. Oh, the memories...

We usually don't get this! We'll get a few inches and it'll be bad for a day or two and then it all goes away. This only happens once every 10 years or so.

*psst* when people think "global warming" means everywhere will get warmer it makes them seem ignorant.

Oh what the heck... this thread is going to the debate area anyway...

If global warming doesn't mean that the earth is getting hotter then what does it mean? How is global warming going on when the earths average temperature has dropped each of the last 5 years and our average now is lower than it has been since before the 80's. Many places are breaking records for cold, many are breaking records for heat... sounds like nature....

The amount of global ice is increasing and the sea level has stopped increasing for the first time in several decades...

The "science" behind global warming is shaky at best and is more or less a craps shoot. I am fine with that and am all about green energy myself. However, when the gruberment gets involved and plays that same craps shoot with billions of taxpayer dollars and institutes mandates... and wants to change the way joe schmo does business by affecting the energy he consumes, I have a problem with it.

Don't know about global warming. Do know that it was 65 degrees in CT on Dec. 15. Four days later, we got a foot of snow. On Sunday we got six more inches. Today it's in the teens with a wicked wind.

Supposed to be in the 50s over the weekend.

We don't call that global warming around here. We call it "New England.":D

Alright, I don't want to turn this into a debate thread so lets just drop the subject of climate change.

This is much better as a place to rant about the white crap that's kept me from getting to either of my jobs for a week now.

HEY! YOU CANADIANS! ALASKANS TOO! KEEP YOUR FRIGGIN ARCTIC AIR TO YOURSELVES OK! This is Western Washington! I don't live in Caribou Schlong, Manatoba! I like my precipitation in the liquid form, alright!?!

Yeah I'm getting really tired of this stuff, yesterday we had freezing rain resulting in a power outage and a apple tree falling in my front yard, today we have 8 inches of new snow. Worst part about it is that my christmas gifts are at the office and it's a 30 mile drive to get there. I think I'll have to brave it tomorrow regardless.

Back