sour, flat, and goofy looking stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
A recent batch of oatmeal stout has a whole mess of problems. 1st off, I used Coopers yeast, and was very careful to not rack any of the yeast cake into the bottling bucket. Usually there still ends up being enough in there, but this had been a long time (over a month) in the primary-so I'm guessing most had floculated out. The result is that it has a very minimal amount of carbonation. Even after 3 weeks by the heat register, still hardly anything.

The taste has improved a bit from earlier. It has a bit of a fruity/sour bite, but I'm pretty sure that's characheteristic of Coopers. I can't really tell if the taste is entirely out of line. It IS troublesome to drink though, because of the lack of carbonation. Notes I've read on astringency state that that could come from sparging too hot. I'm not sure if it is that-or just the yeast.

Finally-not all-but some bottles have a slight layer of film near the surface. No ring around the neck-but a bit of film/residue. I've never had anything like this before, so I'm not sure if that could be a type of infection. There was a similar film on the surface while the beer was still in the carboy-but I thought nothing of it at the time, as it didn't look like a 'textbook' pelicule. Not really suyre what to make of it all. The beer wouldn't be bad if it were carbed, but I'm not sure if I should keep it warm and wait it out, or if I should take some sort of action.

I would just tell people, if it is drinkable, that you used the same technique the Guiness uses to add a bit of sourness to their beer.;)

Look at this way - you brewed a unique beer (i.e., fruity oatmeal stout with a slight infection). Like the Reverend said, just don't tell people it's infected unless you're in "safe" company (e.g., homebrew meeting). :rolleyes:

Thanks guys...the only thing that REALLY is bugging me is the flatness-and it may be hard to spin that. I'm sure it will still find it's way into our collective livers though!

Back