experiment i want to try, your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
Its an experiement i would like to try when i have some free time and cash to spare. For example i would pick a good recipe(Jamils Robust porter Extract in this example)
8 lbs. Extra Pale LME
1 lbs. Munich LME
Grains:
1.50 lbs. Crystal 40L
0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt
0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt
Hops
1.65oz EK Golding 60min
.75oz EK Golding 0 Min
yeast: WLP001

Then also:
6 lbs. Cane Sugar(or however much to equal the same gravity as ^)
1 lbs. Munich LME
+ 8oz Malto Dextrin(largely unfermentable carbohydrate; add to the boil to increase body and mouthfeel in low-gravity beers. $1.50)
Grains:
1.50 lbs. Crystal 40L
0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt
0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt
Hops:
1.65oz EK Golding 60min
.75oz EK Golding 0 Min
yeast: WLP001

Brew both then compare the two. Corn Sugar is a lot cheaper then light DME/LME and interested how much of a difference it would produce in final outcome. I know a lot of people claim sugar will give off-flavors like a cidery taste but this has been proven as just a myth. Most people look down as sugar in a recipe as evil but never even tried it much in brews

"+ 8oz Malto Dextrin(largely unfermentable carbohydrate; " this will change your taste right here. While you are using a extra pale malt it is still a malt. That tastes different than the sugar. It will be an interesting experiment but I doubt they will taste even close.

I know a lot of people claim sugar will give off-flavors like a cidery taste but this has been proven as just a myth.

no, it's not a myth.

sugar belongs in a lot of recipes, and when added in small quantities it simply dries the beer out. you will indeed get a definite "cider" taste from it if you add to much, but without the fruity flavors from the ingredients they use in actual cider.

even in canned kits, the sugar takes up only 1 kg of the whole 5 gallon recipe.

the malto dextrin may help give it some mouthfeel, but that much sugar isn't going to go over well. sorry, man, but i think it will taste terrible.

if you really want to tell the difference, just do a 1 gallon sugar wash with hops and make a 1 gallon extract batch, then split the yeast. at least you won't have to worry about dumping 5 gallons of sugar beer.

+ you will have to add all the protein and lipids that are missing from the suger but plentyful in malt for yeast health

no, it's not a myth.

sugar belongs in a lot of recipes, and when added in small quantities it simply dries the beer out. you will indeed get a definite "cider" taste from it if you add to much, but without the fruity flavors from the ingredients they use in actual cider.

even in canned kits, the sugar takes up only 1 kg of the whole 5 gallon recipe.

the malto dextrin may help give it some mouthfeel, but that much sugar isn't going to go over well. sorry, man, but i think it will taste terrible.

if you really want to tell the difference, just do a 1 gallon sugar wash with hops and make a 1 gallon extract batch, then split the yeast. at least you won't have to worry about dumping 5 gallons of sugar beer.

Dan Listermann has made beers with over 75% sugar that didn't taste cidery. Supposly they were dry but still tasted excellent

How can something be beer if 25% or less of the sugars come from cereals?

Because "beer" is a word, and the meaning of the word depends on how the word is applied to things. We can apply it any way we like.

Thus, sake is often calledrice beer. Conversely, but in the same manner, strong barley ale is often called barley wine.

When the US was young, colonists made beverage alcohol from any number of different fermentables, from squash to molasses to the pressings of cornstalks. They still called it beer, and there wasn't a stitch of malt or cereal anywhere near the stuff.

Of course, they didn't have a bunch of beer snobs telling them they really ought to be calling it "pumpkin cider". ;)

Bob

Back