Hop Selection for Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I really liked the way the Amarillo hops worked with my roggen I made. I'm looking to start another rye experiment more of a rye ale this time.

Here's the grain bill I have put together:

5 lbs wheat
3 lbs pale
2.5 lbs rye

.50 Columbus first wort.
.50 Liberty @ 10 mins.
.50 Liberty @ 0 mins.

Fermenting with WLP320.

Has anyone used the Liberty hops before? I read where it was close to Mnt Hood and Hallertauer which are more of a "traditional" wheat aroma hop.

Thanks.

I made a rye IPA with Columbus and Cascade. Its delicious, light, and hoppy.

I posted the recipe in Edworts Rye IPA thread. I think I saw your post there when I hit my replies. It was extract, 1lb flaked rye, 1lb crystal 60.

Basically 2 oz Columbus (in 2 additions) toward the beginning and 2 oz Cascade (2 additions) toward the end, and an ounce of cascade DH. I screwed up and the OG was 10 points lower than planned, came in around about 1.056, and the IBUs were way out of whack for that gravity, but I love it. It has been my most requested beer to share as well, so I am going to make another similar one next.

Seems like you and I have similar tastes Aubie :D

I like using Mt. Hood in Ambers. I like the woody taste and spiciness it gives, welds really well with the spiciness of the rye. If Liberty is a look alike then I saytwo thumbs up using it in that recipe.
Cheers, Gabe

I've had real good luck with Argentinian grown Cascade in Rye Pale Ale recipes. It is a newly available hop (due to the shortage). It is sort of citrusy and sort of spicy which goes real well with the rye. Try it! Liberty would work well though. It is more of a mellow hallertauer like character but would work.

I used Liberty as a sub for Mt Hood in a rye ipa and am pleased with the results. The spiciness complements the rye very good.

Back