2nd Brew: Honey Orange Hefeweizen / Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscarlino

Reaction score
Okay.. I'm a new home brewer and just finished my second batch yesterday. Im a big fan of wheat beer and found a great recipe in the recipe forum called Honey Orange Hefeweizen. I put a little different spin on it with the hops but followed that recipe pretty closely. Would appreciate some feedback and suggestions from more experienced brewers. Below is what I did...

Had already bought a Belgian extract kit at my LHBS. Contained 2 cans of Belgian wheat LME.

- 60 Minute Boil

- .75 lbs Honey Malt.. Steeped for 30 min @ 150 in 1.5 gal of water

- added another 1.5 gal of water for total boil of 3 gal

- brought to boil and added 1 can of Wheat LME

- .50 oz Hallertau Hops Pelletts @ 60 min

- .25 oz Citra Hops whole leaf @ 30 min

- 2nd can of Wheat LME @ 10 min

- .25 oz Citra Hops whole leaf @ 10 min

- Zest of 4 large naval oranges @ 10 min

- Chilled with wort chiller to 75 degrees (F)

- Poured wort through strainer in to fermenter and added 2.5 gal pre boiled water to bring to 5 Gal

- Pitched Safbrew WB-06 (rehydrated) @ 68 degrees (F)

Currently fermenting @ 65 degrees for 1 week in primary and then bottle condition for two weeks. Want ferm temp on the low side to keep the banana flavor down. Am going for a more citrus / clove flavor. Has been in the primary for about a day and a half.. Had good airlock activity within 5 - 6 hours of pitching. I know Hefeweizen / wheat beers are best young but is one week in primary too short of time?

I kind of messed up and forgot to take the OG before I pitched the yeast. Was distracted with other things and trying to finish up. Didn't want to remove any of the yeast I had just pitched.. I figured my FG is going to be whatever it is regardless..

Would appreciate any tips or recommendations that anyone could offer.

Should be an interesting experiment. Using a big bold American hop in a hefeweisen is unusual, but that's the joy of homebrewing - trying new things.

My only suggestion would be to leave it in the fermenter for a little longer than seven days, before bottling. You want to make sure that primary fermentation is completely done, the yeast have done their work 100%. Also, yeast will clean up after themselves a little bit, so a little extra time won't hurt, either.

Thanks for the feedback Pappers. I like a citrusy wheat type beer so I figured Citra hops and the orange zest would definitely do the trick. Hopefully it isn't overkill. I guess I will know in a month or so.

Back