Sterling hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymn

Reaction score
Anyone know a source for sterling hops? I have looked at a few places and nobody can get them in. Is this a seasonal issue?

psymn

Try freshops.com, Dave's fairly good about keeping his lists current. The harvest of sterling was much larger this year, since new fields in WA were added.

If you really like sterling get a rhizome and grow your own. Sterling is one of the three that I have in my backyard.

What's the word on Sterling hops? I'm making an online order right now. I was going to get a pound of hallertauer mitt, but I'm considering switching our for these instead. Will be using for kolsch, wheats and US pales. Thanks.

From Beerlegends.com:
Sterling Hops is a dual use variety, and the range of the alpha acid content is 4.5%-9.0% with it likely ending up on the higher side of that scale. Sterling has a low to moderate co-humulone content as well and is sometimes dubbed as a noble variety. Sterling is compared to Saaz in many ways and brings a choice delicate bitterness. The oils lay in a unique pattern with very high content for farnesene, elevated myrcene and humulene and lower than most varieties for caryophyllene oil. The result is a slightly spicy fragrance with a herbal floral punch with notes of citrus. Sounds delicious.

Ive gone through a few pounds of them. I like them in classic saisons and other belgian ales. Comparison to saaz is pretty spot on, but they have more flavor/aroma and a lot more bittering potential

I'm experimenting today with Sterling and Belle Saison yeast, both of which I'm using for the first time. I hear Belle can produce a thin mouthfeel (unlike 3711), so I'm including some rye in the mix. I'm hoping the spiciness will also complement Sterling. Something like this:

RYE SAISON (1.045)
83% 2 Row
10% Rye
7% Dark German Munich 15L
0.2 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Sterling @ 10 & 0
Belle Saison

I second getting a couple rhizomes. I got about 8 oz dry weight from my two plants this year, and when I cut them back today I saw more on the bine. I have a third plant from a clipping that'll probably give me even more next year.

Keep an eye on Hops Direct, they are harvesting right now. They don't have Sterling available yet, but every Friday they are adding new varieties.

Hops Direct is out of whole leaf Sterling, but does have pellets for $12.84/lb. Probably 2015 crop, but that's fine. Their shipping is a little high though.

Yakima Valley Hops has 2015 Sterling for $13.99/lb.

Label Peelers has Sterling (unspecified crop) for $19.49/lb.

2016 crop should probably be out within the next month or two. I still say grow your own, but that doesn't help you out right now.

Back