California Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgreene7

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite recipe so far, the honey flavor is just right with the hops bight.

9lbs domestic two row
1lbs Munich
.5 lbs caramel /crystal malt 10L
1.5 OZ cascade boil 60 minutes
.5 OZ cascade at flame out.
1.5 lbs honey at flame out, I just squeezed a big ole honey bear the wort.
Safeale california ale dry yeast.

My wife is gonna drain this one, before I get my share.

So what makes this California??? the yeast?

i am doing an all grain on Sunday, very close to this and was contemplating some
honey as an adjunct to make it very sweet and killer good. Is the 1.5 lbs of honey a real exact amount? Do you premeasure/weigh it out or just guesstimate when
squeezing it from the bottle. I have only done 4 All grain sessions so I am very green. My last spartge got stuck but I perservered and got it to unstick.

tell about the honey, please. I was pleasantly shocked recently, a friend built a Mr. Beer kit called canadian draft. He added honey. It was absolutly amazing. I know I'm learning all grain but why if the extract this guy did was so very damn good. The beer from that kit was like no beer i have tasted. It just hit me and the wife perfectly. It was almost like candy. Not real sweet just very smooth delectable and totally drinkable without any bite at all. great mouth feel and refreshing. I'm trying to replicate it.

gregg

yes california yeast, and the honey was an estimate, the grains make beer, the honey just adds a point, and a honey taste. no scale, just squeeze the bear, peace man.

Back