75 minute IPA appreciation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
Easily my favorite DFH I have ever had. Not one of my favorite breweries but seeing as how I had never seen it in a store, I had to buy it. I have been thinking of adding some maple syrup to some nut browns and stouts but this makes me think I need to add it to an IPA.

Anyone know when they add it? Through my research I have seen you can add it: during the boil, at flameout, high krausen, secondary, and keg(or bottling bucket) Maybe Ill go buckwild and do them all....

The way i understand it they bottle condition it and use the maple syrup as the priming sugar...

You can't really pick up the maple in it at all. Maybe a hint in the nose.

I like it though, bought a case of it the last time it was released in March.

I thought the maple syrup was very present, but not too much. So I guess I'll put the syrup in the keg and naturally carb for a change.

Yes it is one of my favorites as well. I believe it's a 50/50 mix of 90 and 60, bottle conditioned with maple syrup. If you look around hbt you should be able to find clones for both 90 and 60. I'd brew those bad boys up, mix equal amounts, get your hands on some Vermont maple syrup (the real stuff not the cheap stuff) and use that to carb up those babies.

It is a blend of 60 and 90, but it's not a straight 50/50 blend however. More 90, than 60.

What is your source for this?

To me it HAS to be a 50/50 blend because it is 7.5 percent alcohol (confirmed on their label and website). And you can't achieve 7.5 percent with more 90 (at 9 percent) than 60 (at 6 percent). That would yield something higher than 7.5 percent alcohol. Not to mention they named it 75 Minute IPA, where the number 75 is is exactly between 60 and 90.

To the OP: It also appears after blending they dryhop again (60 and 90 are dryhopped on their own based on the clones I've seen), perhaps with Amarillo, Simcoe and Warrior.

What is your source for this?

To me it HAS to be a 50/50 blend because it is 7.5 percent alcohol (confirmed on their label and website). And you can't achieve 7.5 percent with more 90 (at 9 percent) than 60 (at 6 percent). That would yield something higher than 7.5 percent alcohol. Not to mention they named it 75 Minute IPA, where the number 75 is is exactly between 60 and 90.

To the OP: It also appears after blending they dryhop again (60 and 90 are dryhopped on their own based on the clones I've seen), perhaps with Amarillo, Simcoe and Warrior.

Beeradvocate. They have two version of it.. One that they bottle and send out, and another that they serve in their brewpub only.

The blend doesn't have to be exactly. There is a bit of "marketing" that goes along with it to make it all match up.

50/50 is close, but it's more 90 in there if you go the route of blending.

Dump half a 90/60 from a bottle in a glass. It doesn't taste like the 75min does in the bottle.

Beeradvocate. They have two version of it.. One that they bottle and send out, and another that they serve in their brewpub only.

The blend doesn't have to be exactly. There is a bit of "marketing" that goes along with it to make it all match up.

50/50 is close, but it's more 90 in there if you go the route of blending.

Dump half a 90/60 from a bottle in a glass. It doesn't taste like the 75min does in the bottle.

I'm doing a clone of this, and there's actually a YouTube video review from a beer club where Sam is in attendance. He says on the video that it's 50/50 of both. Whether that differs in the commercial product.....well who cares. I'd just blend 50/50 and forget about it. Also, the blend is then dry hopped additionally with Cascade, which may contribute to your differentiation of the 2 products, not to mention time for flavors to meld, etc. Mixing 2 bottles and immediately drinking is in no way the same.

Not only is the bottled version of 75 minute IPA dry hopped POST-BLENDING with whole leaf Cascade, it is bottled conditioned with maple syrup.

I've had both (bottle and firkin) and they are very different beers. The maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness and "velvety" mouthfeel.

Depending on which version you want to clone, you recipe WILL vary.

Back