Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
I'd like some feedback on this Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde Clone I've been working on.

From the Pete's website (http://www.petes.com/beerlist/nf_strawberry_spec.html)
STYLE: GOLDEN LAGER
MALTS: PALE AND WHEAT
HOPS: YAKIMA CLUSTER AND TETTNANG
OTHER: NATURAL STRAWBERRY FLAVORING
BREWING SPECIFICATIONS
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 5.0%
ORIGINAL GRAVITY: 12.05 DEGREES PLATO
IBU: 19

Here is what I have come up with so far. The part I am struggling with the most is the yeast. This beer doesn't strike me as a lager.

Brew Type: All Grain
Style: Blonde Ale
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.00 gal Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.50 lb Wheat Malt, Bel
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.75 oz Cluster [7.00%] (50 min) Hops
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) Hops
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [Starter 900 ml]

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Bitterness: 18.8 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.9 %
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 13.30 qt of water at 164.1 F 153.0 F 60 min

Notes
7# Frozen Strawberries pitched to Secondary (Heated to 160F for 20 mins and cooled to room temp) along with Pectin Enzyme

Thanks for the help.

Let me know how it turns out.

I bought this for SHMBO the other night and I was asked (TOLD) to make her some.

And I will.

Thanks for the feedback. It will be a little while before I know how it turned out since it is 2nd in the queue at the moment.

What's the deal with Pete's calling this a "Golden Lager"? Does anyone think this is really a lager?

ArroganceFan said:
I am curious how this turned out? I am looking to make SWMBO a batch of Strawberry blond clone for her birthday.

I just updated the recipe page with a mini review. In short if you are looking to copy Pete's and save yourself a bunch of hassle then skip the strawberries and add the artificial stuff.

The frozen strawberries caused the brew to be very difficult to clear. It also took some time for the tart taste of strawberry to mellow out. The flavor now is a hint of strawberry with a slight tartness. Pete's is more sweet strawberry and has more strawberry aroma.

jayhoz said:
I just updated the recipe page with a mini review. In short if you are looking to copy Pete's and save yourself a bunch of hassle then skip the strawberries and add the artificial stuff.

The frozen strawberries caused the brew to be very difficult to clear. It also took some time for the tart taste of strawberry to mellow out. The flavor now is a hint of strawberry with a slight tartness. Pete's is more sweet strawberry and has more strawberry aroma.

After rereading the Pete's website, it says "natural strawberry flavoring" so they probably don't use real strawberries. I am guessing you add the strawberry flavor at the end of the boil? Or would you add it to the secondary and then rack on top of it?

I'm planning on brewing this recipe this summer. Any advice on flavor addition? whose flavoring did you use, how much, and/or when did you add?

I would say secondary, or at bottling time. Strawberry jam comes to mind when reading this post. I never tasted the stuff so I have no idea what its like. I only ever made strawberry wine and used strawberry jam at the end to take way some of the tartness from the fresh strawberries.

Fermentation complete. It tastes pretty good without any flavoring. I will add the strawberry and let it age for a couple days then I can let you guys know what it tastes like.

image-1636796662.jpg

this would be good to do a 10g batch and split it down to several smaller batches and add different flavors. ya or na

I made a 10g batch and split it once. I've only flavored one of the 5s so could split up the second 5 into a couple 2.5s and try a couple more. The brew is pretty good without any flavoring. I'll let it age a bit before trying anything else.

Any suggestions for other flavors that might work?

Back