American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used an ounce of citra for the dry hop. I think it's fantastic as is. Ended up 3 weeks primary then dry hopped with citra for a week and bottled. I need a cold crash setup at some point.

After last nights time spent fumbling around with my all grain 2nd batch, I will reconsider the saving money aspect. The benefit of this recipe is the quickness and results.

Brewing my 6th batch of this today. Today's recipe modifications:

2oz crushed coriander (5min)
2oz orange peel (5min)
1/2 cup organic blue agave syrup (5min)

Combining 4lbs LME w/ 3lbs DME

Going to up the dry hop to 2oz

Wheeeeee!

Just opened a bottle after 8 days conditioning - BOOM! This version is my best yet. Great hop flavor, great body, awesome orange/coriander notes. It's a winner!

I just modified the base recipe with a new hop schedule.

1 oz Columbus @15
2 oz Simcoe @5
2 oz Simcoe @ flameout

The smell coming off of the fermenter is amazing right now!!!!!!

I plan on dry hopping with a couple of ounces of Simcoe more than likely.

I am really excited!!!!

Did this recipe last weekend with my mate and my father.
Ill let you know how it turns out! it was a such an easy brew night.

I'll be brewing this tomorrow. I adjusted the recipe a little bit. A little more malt and hops.
7 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb Crystal 60
Cascade- 2 oz at 15min
Cascade- 2 oz at 10 min
Cascade- 1 oz. at 5 min
Cascade 1 oz. at 0 min
Cascade 2 oz. Dry hop

That's what I'm planning. Yeast is TBD.

I brewed the original version of this recipe about a month ago, the only change I made was that I used Safeale 05 in one carboy and the Nottingham in the other. I just pulled samples of each and I can say that I am truely impressed with this beer! What a great concept for short brew days! I personally liked the 05 over the notty, which is very contridictory for me as I primarily use notty for most of my beers. I am going to brew this again for sure! Thanks for the great recipe! Cheers!

Hi all! Love this thread, and am eager to try my hand at the shorter brew time. I am planning a 3gallon boil size, 5 gallon batch, 30 minute brew time. What do you guys think of this? Did I try to put too much in one recipe?

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1 11.8 %
4.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.9 %
4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.9 %
7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min](8. Extract 4 82.4 %
2.00 oz Cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 20.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 4.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 7 -

Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 8.0 oz

This is a very simple pale for a brewer of any level of experience. While I enjoy doing my All Grain beers, I still brew this beer from time to time. The plus is that you only have to boil the beer for 15 minutes and you are done. So we are looking at a 2 hour brew day including clean up with a wonderful tasting hoppy yet sweet caramel flavored pale ale. And since its extract and with such a big hop bill you only need to boil the extract for 15 MINUTES! :ban:

Pours a nice copper/reddish color with a 1 finger head that sticks around leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

Grain/Extracts

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract added to the boil
1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

2.5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
.50 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
1oz Cascade 7.5% dry hop 7 days after primary fermentation has wrapped up.

This beer is great with notty as I typically use notty on my beers I want to ferment on the cooler side. I imagine any clean fermenting yeast would do well. If you want some fruity esters I have done this recipe twice with s-04.

Do you remove the hops after the boil or just tip then in th the fermenter with the wort ??

Do you remove the hops after the boil or just tip then in th the fermenter with the wort ??

I use pellets and I dump it all in the fermenter.
I just finished this, and it took maybe 2 hours with cleaning before and after. The boil is so quick, it's great, but you just have to make sure you get every thing in at the right time.
OG came out a bit high around 1.068, but I used 7 lbs dme, and expected OG was 1.065. Oh well, it'll be a tad stronger, good thing I added more hops too.
I used S-05 for the yeast.

Ok I'm probably going to get shouted at for even asking this but how much difference would it make if I swapped 2lb of malt extract for 2lb of cane sugar ?? I'm just trying to bring the cost of the recipe down as its quite expensive over here in the UK.

Ok I'm probably going to get shouted at for even asking this but how much difference would it make if I swapped 2lb of malt extract for 2lb of cane sugar ?? I'm just trying to bring the cost of the recipe down as its quite expensive over here in the UK.

I believe it will make a significant difference in taste. I wouldn't do it. The original recipe is simply an outstanding beer. If you modify anything for creativity or what you have on hand purposes, it should be hops or yeast.

That being said, I am the ultimate experimenter. However, I would make the original recipe first, THEN try your 2lb sugar version second so you can taste the difference.

Cheers!

:ban:

I would think it would dry and thin out the beer. Most I would sub would be 1 lb.

Thanks for that guys :) I will follow the original recipe although I am going to have to do it in 5 smaller 1 gallon batches I know I will have to devide all of the ingredients by 5 is there anything I will have to change other than that to compensate for the smaller batches ?? I will be putting them all in the same fermenter I just haven't got a big enough boil kettle.

Thanks for that guys :) I will follow the original recipe although I am going to have to do it in 5 smaller 1 gallon batches I know I will have to devide all of the ingredients by 5 is there anything I will have to change other than that to compensate for the smaller batches ?? I will be putting them all in the same fermenter I just haven't got a big enough boil kettle.

The first time I made this beer it was in a 1 gallon batch, I did exactly what you've said - divided everything by 5 or by taking 20%. It turned out great.

What is the expecte ABV of this recipe ?? Thanks

Justin.

In my software BrewR (phone app). OG is 1.056, FG is 1.014 which comes out to 5.5%. That's if you hit both readings spot on. I upped my dme to 7 lbs and I'll be at an est abv of 6.8, my OG was a little higher than expected (1.065).

sweed said:
In my software BrewR (phone app). OG is 1.056, FG is 1.014 which comes out to 5.5%. That's if you hit both readings spot on. I upped my dme to 7 lbs and I'll be at an est abv of 6.8, my OG was a little higher than expected (1.065).

Thanks for that sweed that's what my app got it toss well I just wanted to double check it.

Justin.

Np.
My bubbling in the air lock is basically done, that was quick. I'll give it another 5 days, check the gravity, then dry hop for 5 days, bottle and them it'll be tested on Easter!
I can't wait to try this.

sweed said:
Np.
My bubbling in the air lock is basically done, that was quick. I'll give it another 5 days, check the gravity, then dry hop for 5 days, bottle and them it'll be tested on Easter!
I can't wait to try this.

Me neither this Will be my first extract brew :) can't wait to get on with it.

I brewed a version of this on Sunday. It has been nicknamed Against All Odds Pale Ale (one of THOSE brew days ><)

7lbs Briess Golden Light LME
1lbs Crystal 60L
.25lbs Munich 10L
.25lbs Honey Malt
Irish Moss / Gypsum
Wyeast 1332 NW Ale
2oz NB @ 30
1 oz NB @15
.5oz NB @ 0

The grains smelled (and tasted!) delicious. I have high hopes for this honey pale ale :)
I did a 30min boil because I cannot do a full boil :(

jauntyjoe said:
I brewed a version of this on Sunday. It has been nicknamed Against All Odds Pale Ale (one of THOSE brew days ><)

7lbs Briess Golden Light LME
1lbs Crystal 60L
.25lbs Munich 10L
.25lbs Honey Malt
Irish Moss / Gypsum
Wyeast 1332 NW Ale
2oz NB @ 30
1 oz NB @15
.5oz NB @ 0

The grains smelled (and tasted!) delicious. I have high hopes for this honey pale ale :)
I did a 30min boil because I cannot do a full boil :(

Looks pretty good :) what does Irish moss do ?? I haven't used it before.

Justin.

Took this beer to the local brew store for testing night. It was liked by everyone the only negative was mine was cloudy, I didn't use Irish moss.

I would like a little more hop favor for me but how it is it appeals to a large number of people. They all said it was better then early brews.

Thinking of adding orange and lemon zest for a summer beer.

wcarter1227 said:
This is a very simple pale for a brewer of any level of experience. While I enjoy doing my All Grain beers, I still brew this beer from time to time. The plus is that you only have to boil the beer for 15 minutes and you are done. So we are looking at a 2 hour brew day including clean up with a wonderful tasting hoppy yet sweet caramel flavored pale ale. And since its extract and with such a big hop bill you only need to boil the extract for 15 MINUTES! :ban:

Pours a nice copper/reddish color with a 1 finger head that sticks around leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

Grain/Extracts

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract added to the boil
1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

2.5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
.50 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
1oz Cascade 7.5% dry hop 7 days after primary fermentation has wrapped up.

This beer is great with notty as I typically use notty on my beers I want to ferment on the cooler side. I imagine any clean fermenting yeast would do well. If you want some fruity esters I have done this recipe twice with s-04.

Would I be right in thinking that you are not steeping the grain in a traditional way in this recipe ?? I.E you are putting your grain in in this when your water is cold and then slowly heat it to 170 and then remove the grain where as normally you would heat it to 170 and the introduce the grain for around 30-60 mins ?

Would I be right in thinking that you are not steeping the grain in a traditional way in this recipe ?? I.E you are putting your grain in in this when your water is cold and then slowly heat it to 170 and then remove the grain where as normally you would heat it to 170 and the introduce the grain for around 30-60 mins ?

Yes. I steeped in 3 gallons, and it took about 30 mins I would say, maybe a little longer as I didn't time it, to get to 170°.

sweed said:
Yes. I steeped in 3 gallons, and it took about 30 mins I would say, maybe a little longer as I didn't time it, to get to 170°.

So you put your grain in to cold water and slowly heated it ?

Yes, it's still in the fermenter. I will be dry hopping today though. First time doing it.

Just got around to trying a bottle from a batch I brewed up with Belma and Cascades. Dryhopped with both. It sat in fermenter for about four weeks, then three weeks in bottle. Turned out to be a very nice beer. The Belma doesn't really come through very much. Mostly smell and taste the Cascade, but still a Good session beer. Think I'll try some Amarillo in the next batch.

It's been 11 days since I brewed this up, and I just took a gravity reading. Inside, it looks like it still has krausen on top, kinda like a marshmallow crust consistency, gravity reading is 1.030, OG was 1.054. Stuck fermentation?

It's been 11 days since I brewed this up, and I just took a gravity reading. Inside, it looks like it still has krausen on top, kinda like a marshmallow crust consistency, gravity reading is 1.030, OG was 1.054. Stuck fermentation?

You know what, I just dry hopped after 10 days on Tuesday, and it looks like it kicked off again. The air locked looked fine for days, but now it's active. Not crazy but once or twice a minute. I probably should have waited 2 weeks, but I wanted to get this bottled this weekend to be ready to pop a bottle on Easter. My OG was higher also at 1.068 I believe.

Just opened a bottle after 8 days conditioning - BOOM! This version is my best yet. Great hop flavor, great body, awesome orange/coriander notes. It's a winner!

I made this, and opened a bottle a few nights ago, and found the flavours overly bitter, and had a strange after-taste.

I used 1 oz of bitter orange peel, and 1-oz of fresh peel, and 1 oz of coriander.

Maybe more time in the bottle.

I just bottled this. FG of 1.013. My OG was a bit higher (on purpose) of 1.068 I believe. So it's a bit more alcohol than I wanted. Smell and taste are already great, it's so smooth. I did lose about a gallon from yeast and trub, holy cow I was not expecting that much. But, I did bottle 23 bombers, so that'll last a while. The color is very nice, a light copper. My pic/ tester was the last from the bottling bucket, so it's got a bunch of yeast and other stuff still in there, so a bit cloudy, but it'll def clear up. I'll try this out probably on Saturday, and drink some on Sunday.

ForumRunner_20130325_202206.png

Ended up making it to the 2nd round of bluebonnet with my citrade pale ale. Basically this recipe but dryhopped with citra and used BRY-97 yeast. The scores were 42 and 38 first round from novice judges and 36's for the second round from certified judges.

Upping the malt characteristics and adding more hops were the main two comments. It was also cloudy, but not dinged for that.

Overall, this is one of my favorites I have brewed and will make this frequently or variations of it to keep rotation in my kegs once I get that setup. Running low on bottles now.

So I didn't last long, but I needed it after my last hearing with the ex. Took the rest of the day off.
Only bottled for 3 days, but already good, more hoppy than I thought it would be. But it sure blends in nice. It'll probably be better, but I can drink these all day. Except mine turned into 7.2% lol.

Just brewed the original version with whole fresh cascades from freshops. I have to say the simplicity and speed of my brew night was amazing. Under two hours with cleanup. If this comes out great I will certainly add it to my pipeline. 6 hr all grain days are harder and harder to come by. I will also try a pliny hop combo if this comes out tasting good. I haven't made an extract brew in ages. Thanks for the original recipe!

Back