Dunkelweizen Off-Flavor??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not real familiar with Dunkelweisens, but wanted to brew one with a little teeth, so to speak. This was a partial mash with the malts soaking at 160-150° for an hour.

The first few swigs of this dark elixer don't seem promising. Kinda metallic taste. But halfway through the glass, the malts kick in and everything's hunky-dory. At any rate, it tastes real fine to me 'cept fer the first few sips. Very malty, a tad more hop presence than German tradition. And a tad more alcohol too. This is what went into it:

BARLEY: 2 lb. Munich malt, 1 lb. Chocolate Wheat HOPS: 2 oz. Hallertau pellet

EXTRACT: 6.6 lb. MUNTONS Wheat, 1 lb. MUNTONS Amber DME

YEAST: Safbrew wb-06

Is this perhaps just the taste of this particular yeast or did I screw up somewhere?

The metallic flavor you are tasting is what people can "Extract Twang". It comes from extract in a can not the extract itself. Muntons is usually the worst. Stick with extract from this continent that is from bulk not metal cans.

Forrest

I've not had this problem with extract before, and this was bought fresh from a reputable HBS. I've been brewing with (oftentimes) Muntons for many years. You could be right, but any other possibilities?

it's probably not the extract because i made an AG batch of dunkelweis that had the same problem. almost a minerally/metallic twang and had an aftertaste that reminded me of dog crap (or what i imagine it would taste like anyway). that batch is being dumped as soon as i need the bottles. i'm leaning more toward the water as the source of the off flavor, as the the only beer i've made that didn't have at least a trace of the off flavor is a DIPA.

Maybe just a thought….Munich didn’t convert fully. It takes longer to convert Munich. Did you do an iodine test?

Back