How much deadspace should I expect in a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
Installed a weldless fitting in my keg today, with a pickup tube shown in the pic. Filled it up with some water past the valve and drained to see how much was left.

To my surprise there was quite a bit of water left in the keggle. I guess this will be trub/hop **** after the brew.

link to pic

Should there be less water left in there? I installed the valve as low as it could go.

A couple of things...did you have tubing on the end of your bulkhead while you were running your test? You need to create a siphon and can't do that with out tubing...

Second, why not take the pick up tube to the center? You can use any of the multiple filter options out there to keep break material, hops, etc out of your bucket/carboy.

Edit...
I dont want to pick up the trub that sits in the middle
Filter...ss scrubbie, hop taco, false bottom, etc. Otherwise you will have to live with loosing the gallon plus.

A couple of things...did you have tubing on the end of your bulkhead while you were running your test? You need to create a siphon and can't do that with out tubing...

Second, why not take the pick up tube to the center? You can use any of the multiple filter options out there to keep break material, hops, etc out of your bucket/carboy.
No, i did not have tubing. I will use that next time.

The "no tubing" is the problem. When you drain it, as long as all your connections are tight, your water level will go to the end of the diptube.
tom

If you're connections are tight and have the correct suction from tubing you're wort level will be the same as your diptube's level. I leave about 1 cup of wort left when I am done and my ball valve sits about 3 inches from the bottom of my keggle.

Yep. Tubing attached to your drains output has to be below the bottom of the keg when draining. This creates the suction to suck the water up and out your diptube. Other wise it stops at the level of your ball valve like you're seeing here.

Thanks. I just tested draining it w/ some tubing attached and i got a lot more liquid drained. I take trub loss into account when I brew, so leaving behind some wort doesnt bother me.

Back