Never thought this would happen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
So I just bottled my second brew after about 5 weeks in primary (no secondary). It was Papazian's who's in the garden grand cru, which calls for, as fermentables, for a 2.5 gallons batch:

2,96 lbs LME
1.1 lbs clover honey
1x vial of WLP400 White Labs Witbier yeast. I didn't make any starter as it was only a 2.5 gallons batch.

The OG was supposed to be 1.058, and I reach that target OG spot on. So I was very happy with my brew day (minus the fact that I put 3 times too much orange peel, but I guess it will be ... an original brew).

So, well, it fermented at about 70 F all this time (although, with temperature swing, by the end it was more like 67F) which is in the optimal range for this yeast.

The surprise came today. Before bottling, I did a hydrometer reading just to know the actual FG. It was 1.005! Beersmith's estimate and mine (using WLP400 attenuation %) were 1.013. The yeast is a workaholic!

Well, I taste it... and oh my god was this perfectly good. Well balanced, good "citrusy" aroma and taste... Will be good once cold and carbonated!

So much better than my first brew (with evaluation according to the style).

Back