What are you paying for Grolsch flip-tops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim4065

Reaction score
I ask because I see the empties selling for $1 here and on ebay. Add in freight and it gets ridiculous. My favorite liquor store sells four packs for $8.10 each. Figuring the beer to be easily worth a buck a bottle means I can have "new" empties for $1 each (including freight). The bottles "should be" a lot cheaper on the East Coast - right? :confused:

I ordered 2 12's of the brown flip tops from BMW with the 12% off code and flat 6.99 shipping (along with an all grain kit) it still averaged out to like 2 bucks and change per bottle.

8.99 a sixer. Filled.

Fischer does flip top browns too. $2.99 a bottle filled. Of course, there is always the Rouge ceramic $$$$.

why buy empty bottles when they sell them elsewhere with beer inside?

A long time ago I had a buddy who worked at a bar and would give me all their empty grolsch bottles. In return I would give him some homebrew. Perhaps you could develop a similar relationship with one of your local barkeeps.

Whole foods sells Altenmunster in flip top growlers for $16. Makes bottling day a snap.

I agree with miada, find a local spot that serves good beer and you can come up with a bunch. I've got a local spot that appreciates when I take them away.

105 flip top bottles... free :D :D
Sorry to rub it in... Your best bet might be to try craigslist. buying them new will cost about $2.00 each or so.

Yea craigslist or yard sales, habitat re-stores, salvation army, etc. The last grolsch I got was $20 for 60 bottles at a yard sale.

i traded a 5# alumi co2 for 22-24oz brown flip tops... so they cost me about $3 each. but the money for the tank was already spent, and wanted to help someone tryin to get into kegging. i never see any with beer in them, maybe at bevmo... but i got no license so i can't get the 60 miles very easy.

I just got 180 (all green except 8 of them which were brown) for $100 locally on craig's. the guy originally wanted 20 for $15...and for some crazy reason 24 for $20??

so I paid something like $.58 to $.55 ea but I wouldn't sell them for less than $1 ea

I've bought a few Fischers at $2.69, filled with beer. They're brown and 20-odd ounces v. green and 14 oz. So now I'm spoiled and will gladly take Grolsch bottles, but will not buy them.

I've bought a few Fischers at $2.69, filled with beer. They're brown and 20-odd ounces v. green and 14 oz. So now I'm spoiled and will gladly take Grolsch bottles, but will not buy them.

We've done a case of fischers too, it was hard for me to swill, but the kids had no problem emptying them.:drunk: The bottles are nice though.

I ask because I see the empties selling for $1 here and on ebay. Add in freight and it gets ridiculous. My favorite liquor store sells four packs for $8.10 each. Figuring the beer to be easily worth a buck a bottle means I can have "new" empties for $1 each (including freight). The bottles "should be" a lot cheaper on the East Coast - right? :confused:

That's how I did it a couple of years ago. I didn't enjoy the beer, but it made more sense than to pay a premium for the ezcap bottles.

Back