Food processor to crush grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoemaker

Reaction score
I have a bag of milled grain I would like to crush again before brew day. Could I used a food processor (don't have a mill yet) or is it going to make the grain too fine?

what do you concider food processor? there are many different food processors

You will find that that will not give you a good "crush," that will CHOP the grain into little bits. A crush leaves most of the grain whole but with the husk broken open.

I also concidered doing it. I suppose it depends on the blades. I really never tried, and have no idea of the eventual result....

I have a bag of milled grain I would like to crush again before brew day.

Mind if I ask why?

I'd be hesitant of the food processor. Comparing them to similar blade-style coffee grinders, they tend to give an incredibly inconsistent chop, leaving you with some huge pieces and some dust. People into coffee upgrade to burr grinders for this reason.

It depends...
I "crush" (more like chop really) my grain in a blender and have made some great (award winning even) beers with it.

But...

-I do a BIAB type method, so I don't really need intact husks to help prevent stuck sparges.
-I notice that I get very cloudy wort this way (which doesn't bother me, and doesn't do anything bad to the flavour of the beer.)
-It's very slow and time consuming compared to using a mill.
-You have to get just the right amount of grain in the blender for it to work. Too little and it just flies all over the place, not really crushing it at all. Too much and it doesn't move at all, leaving you with fine flour on the bottom and whole grain on the top.

SO...
Is it ideal? Probably not.
Does it work for me? Absolutely.
Will it work for you? Only one way to know for sure :)

Cool oswiu!! I wondered if the disadvantages of a food processor were negated by BIAB. I'm going to be doing some small batches testing recipes, and will give this a try! I'd love to not have to drive to the LHBS each time for tiny amounts of grain.

Back